.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mole's Progressive Democrat

The Progressive Democrat Newsletter grew out of the frustration of the 2004 election. Originally intended for New York City progressives, its readership is now national. For anyone who wants to be alerted by email whenever this newsletter is updated (usually weekly), please send your email address and let me know what state you live in (so I can keep track of my readership).

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I am a research biologist in NYC. Married with two kids living in Brooklyn.

Google
  • Help end world hunger
  • Thursday, November 25, 2010

    Progressive Democrat Newsletter 280

    "Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are...a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."
    - President Dwight D. Eisenhower, 11/8/54


    Seems like the modern Republican Party and their Texas oil millionaire backers have forgotten the words of one of their best. Pity that the Eisenhower Republicans have lost out to the George Bush/Newt Gingrich extremists who now control the party.

    Thanksgiving is always an ambivalent holiday for me. Basically I love Thanksgiving because it is a cooking/eating holiday which gives me full opportunities to express my culinary interests. I love coming up with creative Thanksgiving menus that reflect both the native foods of the Americas as well as the immigrant populations that settled here. I also like it because it is one of the foundation myths of the nation that gave my Jewish ancestors refuge from the pogroms and brownshirts of Europe. Without the foundation of America, my family would have almost certainly been killed off. Instead my Jewish ancestors came to first South America, then to the United States and within one generation became so integrated with America that one second generation Jew in my family was a famous baseball player in New York. Even my non-Jewish (Catholic and Lutheran) German ancestors found that their more democratic views (in the revolution of 1848) were safer in America than in Europe.

    THAT is what Thanksgiving means to me. Good food and the memory of a safe haven for my ancestors who otherwise may well have died.

    But that is only one half of the meaning of Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was also the precursor to the genocide of the Native Americans. This is an uncomfortable aspect of the holiday that I have become accustomed to include in my celebrations. And this is included in this issue. But I also want to include an even more important analysis of this holiday in White Rabbit's Daily Kos diaries: Part I and Part II.

    Please join me in celebrating both sides of this ambivalent holiday, the formation of a nation that welcomes refugees and immigrants, and the genocide of the native population. I create a feast that combines native and immigrant tastes and I donate to organizations that support the surviving Native Americans.

    I also want to touch on an issue I covered in the last issue: corruption in government. The censure of Congressman Charles Rangel brought up the issue and I mentioned a list of the most corrupt members of Congress, 15 Republicans and 9 Democrats, including Rangel.

    First I want to post Rangel's apology for what he did:

    On Thursday I stood before the Ethics Committee who recommended that I receive censure for violating the House rules. I apologize for the embarrassment I have brought upon you.

    I truly believe public officials have a higher responsibility than most Americans to obey the rules because we write them. There is no excuse for my acts of omission. All of this has been brought upon me as a result of my own mistakes.

    There has never been any corruption or personal gain in my actions, as the Committee's chief counsel noted. Neither has there been any intent on my part to violate the House rules.

    Even the Committee concluded: "Although prior Committee precedent for recommendation of censure involved many cases of direct financial gain, this Committee's recommendation for censure is based on the cumulative nature of the violations and not any direct financial personal gain."

    However, the final decision on sanctions for violations of the House rules will be made by the full House of Representatives.

    Thursday was one of the most difficult days of my life since I was left for dead in North Korea, sixty years ago. In the end, I hope that you would judge me on my entire record as a soldier and a dedicated public servant -- not only by my mistakes.

    For fifty years in public service, I have had the honor to work with many of you to defend the disadvantaged and the voiceless. My commitment to you, our cause and to our country remains as strong as it ever has been.


    Let's be clear. Rangel did wrong and deserved censure. It does seem, however, that even those who censured him admit that he did not do it for personal gain. Overall I think Rangel has been a good public servant, but even an otherwise good public servant has to hold him or her self to a high standard, and Rangel did not do that. Republicans never criticize even their most corrupt members. Democrats do. I think Rangel needs to step aside, maybe not now, but in the near future. Not everyone will agree with me there, but I think it is time for new blood in that district. I do not have a candidate in mind, but I hope the censure of Rangel will send the message to that district that the next Congressional representative from that district needs to be squeaky clean. I think this is extremely important.

    As for the rest of the list of most corrupt Congressional Reps I posted, I was criticized for it because apparently that particular organization has a double standard, holding Democrats to a higher standard than Republicans. They do this to be bipartisan. I can say that the 15 Republicans they list ARE corrupt. Very corrupt. I have looked into their corruption in the past and can say that they deserve jail time. Here are those 15 very clearly corrupt Republicans:

    * Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN)
    * Rep. Roy Blunt (R-MO)
    * Rep. Vern Buchanan (R-FL)
    * Rep. Ken Calvert (R-CA)
    * Sen. John Ensign (R-NV)
    * Rep. Doc Hastings (R-WA)
    * Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-CA)
    * Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
    * Rep. Gary Miller (R-CA)
    * Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
    * Rep. Tim Murphy (R-PA)
    * Rep. Harold Rogers (R-KY)
    * Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX)
    * Rep. Mike Turner (R-OH)
    * Sen. David Vitter (R-LA)
    * Rep. Don Young (R-AK)

    Let me be clear on these 15 people: they should be in jail and the Republicans should be ashamed of their acceptance of these sleaze. But this is just the tip of the iceburg regarding Republican Corruption. The most comprehensive, if somewhat hard to navagate and Christian focused, list of Republican sleaze can be found on the Liberals Like Christ website.

    And a list of indicted Republican felons and their co-conspirators (up to 2008) can be found at Republican Offenders. The list is LONG and should be a HUGE embarassment to anyone claiming to be a Republican.

    And SPEAKING OF CORRUPT REPUBLICANS: Former Republican Majority Leader Tom Delay Found Guilty of Money Laundering

    Turning to Democratic corruption, it does exist. In fact here in Brooklyn it is one of the main things I focus on politically, fighting the local corrupt Party Boss Vito Lopez and his allies, Steve Levin and some of the local Working Families Party folks. But the extent of Democratic corruption, with the possible exceptions of Brooklyn, Louisiana and Illinois, is tiny compared with the massive levels of Republican corruption I mention above. As for the 9 Democrats mentioned in the list I posted last issue, Rangel is one of them, as are some Louisiana and Illinois Reps, but I was told that some of those 9 Democrats are largely innocent of any wrong doing and are on that list simply because there are so few corrupt Democrats compared with Corrupt Republicans that the non-partisan organization that put out the list had to strain to find even 9 Democrats to add to the list to go alongside the 15 unquestionably corrupt Republicans.

    This may or may not be so. I do know that at least one of the Democrats they mention is someone I have met and used to pay attention to and she did NOT seem in any way corrupt from what I saw. So perhaps it is true that the Democrats on the list were not in the same category as the unquestionably corrupt Republicans. If I passed on unfair accusations, I apologize. At the same time, I do not want to excuse any Democrats for behavior I would criticize in a Republican. So I will keep my eye on that list of "most corrupt members of Congress," Democrats and Republicans. Because bottom line is I do not want to tolerate ANY corruption in the American political system. That is one way I differ from my Republican counterparts who never seem willing to criticize even their most sleazy allies.

    Here is this week's newsletter:

    TABLE OF CONTENTS

    THANKSGIVING 2010

    The Latest from Current TV

    Menu for Thanksgiving 2010

    Republican Extremists Move to Kill Women

    New York Focus: Green Power Switch

    Manhattan, NY Focus

    Brooklyn, NY Focus

    Queens, NY Focus

    Bronx, NY Focus

    Rochester, NY Focus

    Suffolk County, NY Focus

    New York 19th District Focus: Putnam, Dutchess, Orange, Rockland, and Westchester Counties

    NEW YORK STATE FOCUS: Blogs, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events

    California Focus: Green Power Switch

    Orange County, CA Focus

    Los Angeles, CA Focus

    San Diego, CA Focus

    California 11th District Focus: San Joaquin, Alameda and Santa Clara Counties

    Northern California Focus: TAKE BACK RED CALIFORNIA

    Southern California Grassroots Alliance

    CALIFORNIA FOCUS: Blogs, Stonewall Democrats, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events

    Washington State Focus: Green Power Switch

    Washington State Dairies Investigate Antibiotic Use

    Seattle/King County, WA Focus

    Spokane County, WA Focus

    Thurston County, WA Focus

    WASHINGTON STATE FOCUS: Blogs, Alternative Energy, Native Vote, Groups and Events

    New Jersey Focus: Green Power Switch

    Passaic County, NJ Focus

    Sussex County, NJ Focus

    Warren County, NJ Focus

    NEW JERSEY FOCUS: Blogs, Blogger Radio, Food Co-ops, NAACP, NJDC, Latino Leadership Alliance, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events

    Colorado Focus: Green Power Switch

    Denver, CO Focus

    Boulder County, CO Focus

    Larimer County, CO Focus

    Douglas County, CO Focus

    COLORADO FOCUS: Blogs, Food Co-ops, Recycling, Veterans for Peace, Native Vote, NJDC, Immigrant Rights, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events

    Austin/Travis County, TX Focus

    Houston/Harris County, TX Focus

    Dallas County, TX Focus

    Texas 10th District Focus: Bastrop, Lee, Burleson, Washington, Austin, Harris, Waller Counties

    Texas 15th Congressional District Focus: Hidalgo, Brooks, Duval, Live Oak, Bee, Jim Wells, Karnes, DeWitt, Goliad, San Patricio, Refugio Counties

    Texas 21st District Focus: Travis, Kerr, Real, Bandera, Kendall, Comal and Blanco Counties

    TEXAS FOCUS: Blogs, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events

    Virginia Focus: Green Power Switch

    Charlottesville/Albemarle County, VA Foucus

    Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania County, VA Focus

    Stafford County, VA Focus

    Hanover County, VA Focus

    VIRGINIA FOCUS: Blogs, Food Co-ops, Energy and Agriculture, NAACP, Groups and Events

    Florida Focus: Green Power Switch

    Tampa/Hillsborough County, FL Focus

    Orange County, FL Focus

    Broward County, FL Focus

    Pinellas County, FL Focus

    FLORIDA FOCUS: Blogs, Equality, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events

    Pennsylvania Focus: Green Power Switch

    Philadelphia, PA Focus

    PENNSYLVANIA FOCUS: Blogs, Alternative Energy, NAACP, Groups and Events

    Michigan Focus: Green Power Switch

    Detroit, MI Focus

    MICHIGAN FOCUS: Blogs, Food Co-op, Native Vote, NAACP, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events

    Minnesota Focus: Green Power Switch

    Minneapolis, MN Focus

    Olmsted County, MN Focus

    MINNESOTA FOCUS: Blogs, The Minnesota Project, NAACP, Drinking Liberally

    Nevada Focus: Green Power Switch

    Las Vegas, NV Focus

    NEVADA FOCUS: Blogs, Progressive Majority, Food Co-op, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events

    Wisconsin Focus: Green Power Switch

    Wisconsin Focus: Marla Stephens announces for Wisconsin Supreme Court

    Milwaukee, WI Focus

    Madison, WI Focus

    WISCONSIN FOCUS: Blogs, Progressive Talk Radio, Biodiesel, Native Vote, NAACP, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events

    Illinois Focus: Green Power Switch

    Chicago/Cook County, IL Focus

    ILLINOIS FOCUS: Blogs, Reform Illinois, Food Co-ops, Alternative Energy, NAACP, Hispanic PAC, Groups and Events

    Georgia Focus: Green Power Switch

    Atlanta, GA Focus

    Coweta County, GA Focus

    Fayette County, GA Focus

    GEORGIA FOCUS: Blogs, Alternative Energy, NAACP, Groups and Events

    Arizona Focus: Green Power Switch

    Phoenix/Maricopa County, AZ Focus

    ARIZONA FOCUS: Blogs, Food Co-ops, Alternative Energy, Native Vote, NAACP, NJDC, Groups and Events

    North Carolina Focus: Green Power Switch

    North Carolina Focus: NC-5 District Focus (Stokes County, Statesville, Surrey County, Iredell County, Watauga County, Yadkin County)

    NORTH CAROLINA FOCUS: Blogs, Biodiesel, Alternative Energy, NAACP, Veterans for Peace, Groups and Events

    Iowa Focus: Green Power Switch

    Focusing on my father's hometown: Davenport/Scott County, IA Focus

    IOWA FOCUS: Blogs, Food Co-ops, NAACP, Alternative Energy, Sustainable Agriculture, Groups and Events

    TENNESSEE FOCUS: Blogs, Groups and Organizations, NAACP, Biodiesel, Food Co-ops

    KANSAS FOCUS: Blogs, Biodiesel, NAACP, Food Co-ops, Groups and Events

    Oklahoma County, OK Focus

    SOUTH CAROLINA FOCUS

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home