MICHIGAN FOCUS: Blogs, Mark Schauer, Gary Peters, Groups and Events
BLOGGING MICHIGAN: I notice that Michigan has a particularly good round up of blogs.
Michigan Liberal is an excellent source of news, events and politics in Michigan.
Blogging for Michigan is another excellent source of news, events and politics in Michigan.
Mid-Michigan DFA is a good way to stay connected with fellow progressives in the Lansing area.
The Michigan Coalition for Progress is an independent progressive voice for the people of Michigan dedicated to holding elected political leaders accountable and moving Michigan forward.
MI-07 is a Congressional District that we have a very good shot at taking this year. It is one of the top battleground districts in the country. Mark Schauer is the Democrat running for the MI-07 House seat. Here is a video of Mark Schauer giving a keynote address at a climate conference:
If you live in the district, please volunteer to help Mark out.
MI-09 is the other one is Michigan house seat we can flip to blue. Gary Peters is running for this seat and is raising a good deal of money to mount a strong challenge to a Bush Republican. Peters has been endorsed by the League of Conservation Voters, the Michigan AFL-CIO and the Veterans Alliance for Security and Democracy, among many others. Gary is in favor of bringing out troops home and giving our Veterans the benefits and healthcare they deserve. The Repub he is challenging has consistently voted AGAINST expanding veterans benefits.
If you live in MI-09 district, please volunteer for Gary and help flip another House seat to blue.
Here are some events and groups in Michigan:
Monthly Berkley Democratic Club Meeting:
Generally meets on Thursdays from 7pm to 8:30pm and all club meetings are open to the public. Bring your topics, ideas, and opinions to share and interact with other like-minded individuals!
All meetings are held at Anderson Middle School, 3205 Catalpa, Berkley, Michigan in the Media Center. We welcome you to join us!
Contact: http://www.berkleydems.org or info_at_berkleydems.org
Monthly Flint, MI Progressive Caucus Meeting
2nd Tuesday of every month, 6:30:00 PM
Asbury United Methodist Church, Flint
Mid-Michigan DFA Monthly Meeting
First Wed of each month, 7:00 PM
1026 E. Michigan Avenue
Lansing, MI 48933
Phone Number: 517-482-1737
Farmington Hills Club Meeting
Farmington / Farmington Hills Democratic Club
Third Wednesday of Every Month
Starting at 7:30pm
Location: Varies...call or check out website for more info.
Pontiac Democratic Club
Third Saturday of Every Month
Starting at 10:00am
Pontiac City Hall
47450 Woodward Ave., Pontiac
Location: Pontiac City Hall, 47450 Woodward Ave., Pontiac
And for those who want to combine socializing with politics, here are some Michigan Drinking Liberally groups:
Ann Arbor, Michigan
* Second and fourth Thursday of each month, 7pm
* Leopold Bros., 523 S Main St (between Packard and Madison by RR tracks)
* Hosted by Jenay Karlson, Leah Hanzlicek and Jeffrey Schultz, annarbor (at) drinkingliberally.org
Grand Rapids, Michigan
* Third Wednesday of each month, 7:00 pm onward
* Graydon's Crossing, 1223 Plainfield Ave NE (just north of Leonard)
* This month, we're meeting on Tuesday, 4 March at 7:00 for a Primary Results Watch Party
* Hosted by Brent Geers and Phil Skaggs, grandrapids (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Thursday, 7:00 pm onward
* Keweenaw Brewing Company, 408 Shelden Ave (Downtown Houghton)
* Hosted by Jeremy Sandrik and Jon Maxwell, houghton (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Third Thursday of each month, 7:00 pm onward
* Reno's East, 1310 Abbott Rd, East Lansing (Corner of Abbott and Saginaw)
* Hosted by Julielyn Gibbons, lansing (at) drinkingliberally.org
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
* Second Tuesday of each month, 8:00 pm onward
* Mountain Town Brewing Company, 506 W Broadway St
* Hosted by Abhik Roy, Will Tomlinson, Scott Dunn and Brandon Mayer, mtpleasant (at) drinkingliberally.org
Oakland County, Michigan
* Third Thursday of each month, 6:00 pm onward
* Rochester Mills Beer Company, 410 Water St, Rochester (Downtown Rochester)
* Great food and some great brews, bring a hunger and a thirst for Democracy!
* Hosted by Ron Wasczenski, oaklandcounty (at) drinkingliberally.org