TEXAS FOCUS: Blogs, Rick Noriega, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events
Dos Centavos covers Chicano socio-political discourse in Texas.
North Texas Liberal covers the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
Texas is a Senate battleground this year. Here's the latest video from Rick Noriega, Democrat for Senate:
Read more about Rick Noriega here.
Democracy for America is fundraising for Rick. Help them out and help turn the Senate solid blue!
You can also help by volunteering for Rick Noriega's Senate campaign. Get busy and we really can win this year!
Here are some alternative energy events:
The Dallas Progressive Alternative Energy Meetup Group
Want to know when and where this meeting is? Sign up for this Meetup.
The foremost purpose of The Dallas Alternative Energy Meetup Group is to bring together individuals seeking better, cleaner, more economical energy methods and technical experts working in the field of solar, wind, water, geothermal and other renewable sources to gain knowlege and how to use that knowledge. Any individual that has family or friends who live and breath air, those who live in a home, apartment, condo or townhouse as well as those who own automobiles or any other energy powered machinery would be well served to visit our monthly meetups.
Sign up to find out when a meeting is scheduled
Windpower 2008 Conference & Exhibition
WINDPOWER 2008 Conference & Exhibition will be held June 1 - 4, 2008 at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston, Texas.
The Exhibiton at WINDPOWER 2008 will be an impressive display from close to 500 of the leading companies from all facets of the wind energy industry. Exhibitor reservations are currently being accepted - book now to ensure a prime location!
The WINDPOWER conference program includes 300 speakers and moderators, 150 poster presentations, and over 50 sessions on leading wind energy topics organized into tracks with policy, business, and technical focuses. There is no better place to learn the latest industry developments and new technology than WINDPOWER 2008. Attendees can also participate in several day-long pre-conference seminars for more in-depth education on various topics. The Call for Papers will be available in the summer of 2007 for anyone interested in becoming a speaker or poster presenter at WINDPOWER 2008. For more information, contact Sakura Emerine at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 383-2540.
Whether you are an industry veteran, or a newcomer to this exciting field, interaction with over 7,000 wind energy professionals is key to advancing your business interests. With various receptions, a conference dinner, and numerous meal functions included in the conference schedule, you are sure to catch up with existing colleagues and make many new contacts.
COOL HOUSE TOUR 2008
Sunday, June 22nd, noon to 6 p.m.
Talk to the owners, architects, builders and installers
You will see homes ranging from the affordable to high-end luxury, featuring:
* Solar electric (PV)
* Climate responsive design, for comfort and energy efficiency
* Green building materials and concepts
* Pleasing landscapes that save water
* Rainwater collection systems
Visit open houses featuring energy efficient and environmentally sound design and construction…in very cool houses!
How to take the tour: A Guidebook to the locations serves as your ticket and provides directions. Each site has a full page devoted to its significant features and sustainable highlights, along with a photo, so you can choose what you want to see and go at your own pace. Plot your personal tour from the map and directions in the Guidebook.
For more info email: email@example.com
And here are some political meetings:
Monthly Colleyville, Grapevine, Southlake Democrats Meeting
The CGS Democrats meet the second Thursday of each month at different locations around our three cities. Arrive at 6:30pm to socialize and eat dinner or at 7:00pm to meet.
Central Market (Southlake, TX)
Southlake, TX 76092
Meet with other local Democrats, listen to special guests speakers, and learn how to participate in the poltical process. We have a lot of fun networking and learning how to activate our voters.
Meeting agendas are posted at the club Website one week in advance of the meeting date at
Look for us in the community room of the Central Market store. It is a nice meeting room and works out nicely. Call if you need directions: (817)939-5671
Lake Area Democratic Club (Social)
A gathering of Democrats and anyone interested in the democratic process.
Location: Seven Points Dairy Queen (Seven Points, TX)
Directions: On hwy 85 just west of hwy 274
We meet at the Seven Points Dairy Queen at 6PM 3rd Tuesday of each month. Come join us and dine at the Queen and have fun while we work to get our county, state, and country back in shape.
Call 214-683-2811 for more information.
Here are the Texas Drinking Liberally groups for those who like to socialize with fellow Liberals:
* Every Tuesday, 6:30 pm onward
* The Dog and Duck Pub, 406 W 17th St (at Guadalupe)
* Hosted by Ben Andrews, austin (at) drinkingliberally.org
Corpus Christi, Texas
* Third Thursday of each month, 7:00 pm onward
* Cassidy's Irish Pub, 601 N Water St
* Hosted by Teresa Klein and Jim Klein, corpuschristi (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Second Friday of each month, 6:00 pm onward
* The Stoneleigh P, 2926 Maple Ave (at Wolf across from the historic Stoneleigh Hotel)
* Check out our blog for announcements of Eating Liberally, Screening Liberally, Drinking Coffee Liberally and other nonsmoker-friendly gatherings. Also, please "friend" us at MySpace.com/DallasDrinkingLiberally.
* Hosted by Melissa Morgan, dallas (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Third Thursday of each month, 6pm until 8pm
* The Quarter, 15201 Addison Rd (next to Sambuca)
* There is road construction! However, Addison Rd is now re-opened in both directions for the time being.
* Hosted by John McClelland and Erica Stockbridge, addison (at) drinkingliberally.org
* First and third Wednesday of each month, 6:30 pm onward
* Esparza's Tequila Factory and Grill, 3314 Harwood Rd, Bedford
* Hosted by Kathleen Thompson and Todd Hill, midcities (at) drinkingliberally.org
El Paso, Texas
* Third Tuesday of each month, 6:00 pm to 8:00pm
* Hemmingways, 214 Cincinnati Ave
* Hosted by Michael Apodaca and Lily Ruiz, elpaso (at) drinkingliberally.org
* First Thursday of each month, 7 PM onward
* Dog House Tavern, 2517 Bagby St
* TRYING SOMETHING NEW. GOING TO MEET 1ST THURS FOR A FEW MONTHS.
* Visit or post on the Houston forum: http://drinkingliberally.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=6
* Hosted by David Robertson, houston (at) drinkingliberally.org
New Braunfels, Texas
* Third Wednesday of each month, 7:00 pm onward
* The Black Whale, On the Plaza in Downtown New Braunfels
* Hosted by Steve Woolbert and Greg Woodall, newbraunfels (at) drinkingliberally.org
San Antonio, Texas
* Second and fourth Thursday of each month, 6:00 pm onward
* The Cove, 606 W Cypress St (The Cove is located just west of San Pedro, where Cypress runs into Fredericksburg.)
* Hosted by Bill Livermore, Livi Bogrand and Ned Allen, sanantonio (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Thursday, 6:30 pm
* Library Lounge, downstairs in the Rogers Hotel, 100 E Main St (Take the elevator or stairs from lobby)
* Location changes from time to time. Be on the email for updates!
* Food available; no smoking. Conversation-friendly environment!
* Hosted by Nathalie Guyol, waxahachie (at) drinkingliberally.org