OHIO FOCUS: Progressive Candidates, Groups and Events
Progress Ohio is an excellent source of Ohio news and politics
Buckeye State Blog is another source of Ohio news and politics
Progressive Majority Endorsed Candidates in Ohio:
Candidate for State Representative - District 16 (Incumbent)
Bay Village, Rocky River, North Olmstead, Fairview Park
Jennifer Brady is the Representative from the 16th Ohio House District. Progressive Majority endorsed Jennifer in 2006 because of her commitment to progressive values, activism in the community, strategic mindset and strong work ethic. In 2006, Progressive Majority was one of very few organizations to support Jennifer after the House Democratic Caucus wrote off her race. Since then, we have been working closely with her on strategy, field organization and fundraising. According to the Ohio Republican Party Chairman Bob Bennett, ''The 16th District is the number-one Republican target for 2008.'' It is a must-keep if democrats are to take over the House. Traditionally, the 16th has been known as the most Republican district in Cuyahoga County, which made Jennifer's 2006 victory the pleasant surprise of the cycle for Progressives. The Republicans have recruited Nan Baker, a conservative member of the Westlake city council colloquially known as the ''Republican Jennifer Brady.'' Jennifer has been a progressive champion in the Assembly who refuses to vote against her values, thus displaying the courage and conviction that helped her win in 2006.
Click here to support and learn more about Jennifer.
Candidate for State Representative - District 18 (Open Seat)
Olmsted Falls, Olmsted Township, Berea, Strongsville, and North Royalton
Matt Patten is the Democratic candidate for the 18th Ohio State House District. Matt has a long history of activism and labor organizing and is currently a Regional Labor-Management Field Coordinator. The performance of the district is expected to improve even further as the popular Republican incumbent is jumping to the state Senate and his successor, Robert Spada, is considered far too conservative for this democratic-trending district. As a professional community organizer, Matt is a fearless champion for improving economic opportunity, education, and universal access to healthcare. He has the endorsements of local and statewide labor. This seat is a top-tier pickup in the quest for the four seats we need for a democratic majority in the Ohio House of Representatives.
Here are some events in Ohio:
ANNUAL HENRY COUNTY DEMOCRAT PARTY HOG ROAST
June 17, 4:30 PM - 7:00 PM
500 GLENWOOD AVENUE
NAPOLEON, OH 43545
Annual Henry Co. Democratic Party Hog Roast Tuesday, June 17, 2008 Carry-outs available at 4:30 p.m. Serving until 7:00 p.m. Tickets $10.00 per person
CRUISING TO VICTORY WITH THE DEMOCRATS
June 27, 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM
MARIETTA, OH 45750
CRUISING TO VICTORY WITH THE DEMOCRATS ABOARD THE VALLEY GEM STERNWHEELER ON JUNE 27TH FROM 6:30P.M.-8:30P.M. BOARDING BEGINS AT 6:00P.M. COST IS $25.00 PER SINGLE/$40.00 FOR 2. PAPER PRODUCTS, MEAT, CHEESE TRAYS, TEA, LEMONADE ARE PROVIDED, BRING A COVERED DISH FOR ALL TO ENJOY AND YOUR OWN BEVERAGES IF YOU DESIRE. THERE IS A SILENT AUCTION ON BOARD AND PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BRING AN ITEM. CALL JANE @ 740-373-8169 OR SHOSHANNA @ 740-373-3555 FOR INFO AND RESERVATIONS.
9th Annual Feast at the River
July 19, 4:00 PM - 8:00 PM
1601 Locust Street
Pt. Pleasant, Ohio 45153
9th Annual Feast at The River: Members of the Quin-T Democratic Club in Clermont County prepare a one of a kind afternoon with the best grilled steaks in town, baked potatoes and onions, old fashioned baked beans, roasted corn on the cob, salad selections and home made desserts. Cost is $100 per person. Proceeds are used to benefit candidate's campaigns. Everyone is welcome. Call: 513-553-3661, 513-553-4766, 513-553-2446. Rain or shine. Add a history lesson to the menu: Feast location is across U.S. Rt. 52 from the Ulysses S. Grant birthplace/ National Historic Site.
Here are some Drinking Liberally Groups in Ohio:
* Every Tuesday, 7:30 pm onward
* Odd Tuesdays: Fries Cafe, 3247 Jefferson Ave
* Even Tuesdays: The Pub at Rookwood Mews, 2692 Madison Rd
* Hosted by Adam Bartel and Cheryl Crowe, cincinnati (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Sunday, 6:00 pm
* Sullivans Irish Pub, 13368 Madison Ave, Lakewood (Great food and lots of irish brews on tap)
* Visit www.sullivansirishpub.net for more info on the venue
* Hosted by Judy Novak, cleveland (at) drinkingliberally.org
* First Thursday of each month, 6:30 pm
* Byrnes Pub, 1248 W 3rd Ave
* Hosted by Jocelyn Krosky and Roger Denick, columbus (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Second Wednesday of each month, 7:30 pm
* The Oregon Express, 336 E 5th St
* Hosted by Cari Kimmel, dayton (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Wednesday, 7:30 pm
* Manhattan's, 1516 Adams St (Downtown Toledo; on Adams across the street from Adams Laundry)
* Come and drink like a libreral at Manhattan's. We'll be talking politics, drowning our sorrows,
* and making alchohol-fueled plans for America's future.
* Hosted by Rebecca Golden, toledo (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every other Wednesday, 8:00 pm
* The Village Idiot, 309 Conant St
* Hosted by Lori Wampler, Ken Stout and Leanne Kulzac, maumee (at) drinkingliberally.org