IOWA FOCUS: Sustainable Agriculture, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events
Let me introduce you to a candidate running for Conrgess in Iowa. Becky Greenwald is running against Tom Latham (R) in the IA-04 district.
Let me quote from her website:
"In Tom Latham, we have a congressman who has continually opposed women’s reproductive rights and has given a green light and a blank check to George Bush’s war in Iraq.
Together, we will make a difference for those struggling to get by on the minimum wage.
We will make a difference for those who cannot afford access to quality healthcare.
We will make a difference for those brave men and women returning from Iraq and Afghanistan and facing life with an injury and the scars of war.
We will make a difference when we repeal the unfunded mandate known as No Child Left Behind.
We will make a difference when we invest in homegrown energy alternatives which lessen our dependence on foreign oil, clean up our environment, and put Iowans to work at high-paying jobs which can’t be outsourced and can be unionized. "
You can help out Becky either by donating through my Act Blue Site or by volunteering for her campaign if you live in her area.
Here are some Alternative Energy and Sustainable Agriculture Events:
Recycle/renew/reuse event at Prairiewoods
Jun 20 – 22 2008
Prairiewoods, Hiawatha, Iowa
Friday 4-9, Saturday 8-8, Sunday 8-noon http://www.prairiewoods.org/
Weekly Anti-War Vigil at Nollen Plaza
11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
Nollen Plaza, 3rd and Locust Des Moines, IA
Contact: Wendy Vasquez
Please join us for this weekly witness against the war.
For more information, contact Wendy Vasquez at 515-771-8656.
Women for Peace Knitters
Supporting the peaceful arts of knitting and crocheting. This group meets monthly on the 2nd Tuesday, 9:30-11:30 am at Prairiewoods, 120 E Boyson Rd, Hiawatha. (Group also meets fourth Tuesdays each month at Marion Public Library, 7-8:30 pm., Marion.) For more information call 377-3252.
Cedar Rapids Peace Vigil
Women for Peace, Iowa, meet each Saturday at noon at the corner of 1st Avenue and Collins Road.
And for those who are focused on combining fun and politics, here are the local Drinking Liberally groups in Iowa:
* Every Friday, 5:00 pm onward
* Legends American Grill, 200 Stanton Ave, 7th Floor (in Campustown)
* The group will meet in the large accessible party room left of the elevators unless it is booked by a larger group. We will then be in the Sky Box. Ask a waiter for our location.
* Hosted by Jan Bauer and Brent Wynja, ames (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Thursday, 8:00 p.m. onward
* The Lift, 222 4th St (between Court Ave and Walnut)
* Hosted by Amanda Mittlestadt, Tricia Kell, Cassie Samspon and Matt Jesson, desmoines (at) drinkingliberally.org
West Des Moines
* Third Friday of each month, 5:00-7:00 pm
* Tonic, 5535 George M Mills Civic Pky (within West Glen Towncenter)
* Hosted by Cassie Sampson, Mikael Brown and Jenny Irlmeier, wdsm (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Second Monday of each month, 6:00-7:30 pm
* Continental Wine Bar, 428 E Locust St
* Hosted by Marcus Walsh and Tricia Kell, desmoines (at) eatingliberally.org
Iowa City, Iowa
* Every Thursday, 8:00 pm onward
* The Mill Restaurant, 120 E Burlington St