NORTH CAROLINA FOCUS: Blogs, Kay Hagan, Larry Kissell, Veterans for Peace, Peace Vigils, Groups and Events
North Carolina is a Senate battleground this year. We have a pretty good shot at winning. Let me introduce you to Kay Hagan, the Democratic candidate for Senate in North Carolina:
I notice Hagan's campaign seems extremely well organized, which will really increase her chances of winning. You can help in many ways by signing up here. Even if you aren't in North Carolina you can help by phone banking from home (a strategy that worked extremely well in a NY State Congressional race in 2006!)
Let me reintroduce you to Larry Kissell, candidate for the NC-8 Congressional seat. Larry almost certainly won in 2006, but voter fraud that lost thousands of votes, probably stealing the election. Kissell is runnig again and is very likely to win. He was a Textile Worker for 27 years and is now a teacher at East Montgomery High School. Here is a video from his campaign:
You can find out more about Larry Kissell and help out here.
Here are events and groups in North Carolina:
Weekly Veterans for Peace Vigil in Asheville
Every Tuesday 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
At the Vance Memorial
Asheville, NC 28801
Weekly Women in Black Anti-War Vigil in Asheville
Every Friday 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Vance Monument - Pack Square
The Women In Black stand in silence against war, each Friday from 5 to 6 PM. All others are welcome to stand with them.
Democratic Women of Union County hold their monthly meeting the second Monday of every month at the Hilltop Restaurant Hwy 74 and 601 South. Seating for "Dutch Dinner" at 5:30PM, Program & Business at 6:00PM
Cabarrus County Senior Democrats have their monthly meeting the second Tuesday of every month at Troutman's BBQ restaurant, 1388 US-601-BYP S, Concord, NC. They start at 6.30 pm and for $7 you can enjoy a delicious BBQ buffet.
Mecklenburg County Democratic Women meet on the second Wednesday of each month, usually at a local library. Meet and greet from 6:30 p.m. to 7:00. Meeting begins at 7:00 p.m.
Contact: Joan Belk, 704-578-4227
Mecklenburg County Senior Democrats
meet on the second Friday of each month at Walls AME Zion Church, 2722 Bancroft St. Bring a bag lunch if desired. Meeting time is Noon.
Contact Sam Brown, 704-553-9061 or sambev_at_bellsouth.net
The Young Democrats of Mecklenburg County meet on the second Sunday of each month at 7:00 pm. Locations will vary and will be announced in advance of each meeting. Contact Becky Gomer, 704-200-8801 or president_at_meckyoungdems.org
"Third Thursday Group", a North Carolina Democratic "think tank", meets every third Thursday at Restaurant Costello's from 6.30 to 8.30 pm. 970 Branchview Dr NE, Concord, NC. Join us again to express your views and help to shape the party's agenda as we move into the future!
African-American Caucus of Mecklenburg County
Takes place the third Thursday of each Month, at 7:00 pm, at the Texas Land & Cattle Co., 517 University Center Blvd. Contact Michael Lawson 704-458-8150 or mamlawson_at_carolina.rr.com
Cabarrus County Democratic Women will have their monthly meeting the fourth Thursday of every month at the Stowe A-Way fish restaurant, starting at 6.30 pm. 455 Corban Ave Se, Concord, NC. All Democrats are encouraged to attend.
And for those who want to combine social events with politics, here are the Drinking Liberally Groups in North Carolina:
Asheville, North Carolina
* Every Thursday, 7:00-10:00 pm
* Asheville Brewing Company, 77 Coxe Ave (Downtown, 1/2 block north of Hilliard Ave.)
* Hosted by Aric Vance and Susan Lee, asheville (at) drinkingliberally.org
Charlotte, North Carolina
* First Monday and Third Wednesday of each month, 7:00 pm onward
* First Monday of the month Location: Brixx Uptown, 225 E 6th St (we usually gather at the bar, on the LEFT side)
* Be sure to bring in your parking pass for validation, and to tell the parking attendant you are going to Brixx so they don't charge you $5!
* Third Wednesday of the month Location: Dolce Vita, 3205 N Davidson St 1/2 priced wines by the glass on Wednesday
* Hosted by Marcus Williams, Andy Graves and Mark Campbell, charlotte (at) drinkingliberally.org
Charlotte Eating Liberally
* Second Saturday of each month, 10:00 am
* Matthews Community Farmers' Market, 105 N Trade St, Matthews (We meet at the tables just outside of the Community House Coffee Shop)
* Come by after collecting your week's bounty & join us for a cup of coffee from the community house and a freshly baked pastery from one of the vendors!
* Bring your favorite organic/local/sustainable related books or recipes.
* Hosted by Laura Paynter and Heather Taylor, charlotte (at) eatingliberally.org
Concord, North Carolina
* Second Thursday of each month, 7:00 pm onward
* Sweet Pea Cafe, 16 Union St S (1/2 block south of Cabarrus & Union)
* Hosted by Mark Ortiz, concordnc (at) drinkingliberally.org
Greensboro, North Carolina
* Every Thursday, 7:00-9:00 pm
* The Green Bean, 341 S Elm St
* Hosted by Richard Rozzelle, greensboro (at) drinkingliberally.org
Raleigh, North Carolina
* Every Tuesday, 6:00-9:00 pm
* Players Retreat, 105 Oberlin Rd (right near Hillsborough Street)
* Look for us in the room across from the bar, thru the doorway.
* Hosted by Wallace Pankow and Dave Carden, raleigh (at) drinkingliberally.org
Wilmington, North Carolina
* First and third Tuesday of each month, 7:30 pm onward
* Orton's, 131 N Front St
* Hosted by Tom Schutte and Jimmy Cartrette, wilmingtonnc (at) drinkingliberally.org