VIRGINIA FOCUS: Judy Feder, Tom Perriello, Impeachment, Groups and Events
I want to highlight Judy Feder, running for Congress in the VA-10 district. Judy has been raising money very effectively and this looks to be one of the big battle ground races this year. I like letting candidates speak for themselves when I can find videos. So, let me introduce you to Judy Feder:
If you live in the VA-10 district, please volunteer for Judy's campaign.
I have also been highlighting Tom Perriello,running for Congress in the VA-5 district and raising lots of money. Tom has done lots of good work with child soldiers, amputees, and local pro-democracy groups in Sierra Leone and played a significant role in the peace and reconciliation process that ended twelve years of violence in that country. He then became Special Advisor and spokesperson for the International Prosecutor during the showdown that forced Liberian dictator Charles Taylor from power without firing a shot. After this success, Tom served as a national security analyst for the Century Foundation. He has worked inside Darfur and twice in Afghanistan. This is the kind of leadership we need in Congress! He is raising record amounts of money to defeat the incumbent Republican.
Here is Tom introducing himself:
If you live in the VA-5 district, please help Tom out.
Here's a weekly impeachment related events:
Honk to Impeach Bush and Cheney to End the War Every Friday at noon in front of Rep. Bobby Scott's office building at the corner of E. Clay Street and N. 2nd Street-
501 N. 2nd Street
Richmond, VA 23219-1321
Come by and HONK LOUDLY!!!
Now some other groups and events:
Arlington Democrats Meetup Group
Meet other local Dems! Sponsored by the Arlington Democratic Committee, about 60 attendees meet to discuss local/national politics, listen to guest speakers and receive news on getting involved. Email jamesemcb_at_yahoo.com to join the ACDC listserv or sign up at www.arlingtonyoungdems.org.
Monthly Charlottesville Democratic Breakfast
This gathering takes place on the third Saturday of each month at 9:30a.m. and is usually held at the JABA building on Hillsdale Drive. Pay what you can.
Virginia Beach Democratic Committee Monthly Meeting
Held the First Wednesday of every month, 7 PM, at the Virginia Beach Central Library.
Monthly Interfaith Pray for Peace Gathering
Final Thursday of evern month, 7:15pm
Location: Sojourners UCC Church, 1017 Elliott Ave, Charlottesville
Sponser: Interfaith Cooperation Circle of Central Virginia-URI; Gesher Center; Unity Church
On the final Thursday of every month, the Interfaith Pray for Peace Gathering welcomes people of all faiths, backgrounds, and beliefs to an inspired and inspiring flow of prayers, meditations and songs for peace.
Contact Name: Heena Reiter
Contact email: gesher_at_mindspring.com
Contact Phone: 434-970-7836
Fauquier Democrats Monthly Meeting
Third Tuesday of Each Month, 7:30 pm
Warren Green Building
10 Hotel Street
Old Town, Warrenton
Blue Mondays With the Stafford County Democrats
Every Monday evening at 5 PM
King Street Blues Restaurant
Casual get-together of like minded Democratic Activist
For more info contact: jac_at_j2power.com
Democracy for Virginia:
Here are the local Democracy for America chapters in Virginia. Click on the link for more info:
* Arlington for Democracy (may be dormant...you can go here to contact the organizers and get more up to date info)
* Roanoke DFA
* Tidewater for Democracy
* Virginia Grassroots Coalition (may be dormant...you can contact them here for more info: firstname.lastname@example.org)
For the more social and fun-oriented (and booze oriented), there's Drinking Liberally. Here are the Virginia Drinking Liberally Chapters:
* Second Thursday of each month, 7:00-9:00 pm
* King Street Blues, 5810 Kingstowne Center Drive, Alexandria (Corner of Kingstowne Blvd and Van Dorn Street)
* Hosted by Brian Murray and Mike Sizemore, alexandria (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Thursday, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
* Capitol City Brewing Company, 2700 S Quincy St
* We're usually in the back room at Cap City; check with the host station if you don't see us there!
* "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world" - Margaret Mead
* Hosted by David Swim, Quinn Jones, Michelle Elliott and Bev Wright, arlington (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Thursday, 6:00 pm onward
* South Street Brewery, 106 W South St
* Hosted by Chris Dumler and Clare Wuerker, charlottesville (at) drinkingliberally.org
* First and third Friday of each month, 6pm to 8 or 9
* Glory Days Grill, 9459 Lorton Market St
* First hour of the gathering is part of happy hour
* Hosted by Alan Salisbury and Chris Ambrose, lorton (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Third Thursday of each month, 5:00-7:00 pm
* The New Belmont, 2117 Colonial Ave (upstairs at the bar)
* Hosted by Tom Mitchell and Vivian Paige, norfolk (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every other Wednesday, 7:00 pm onward
* Chiocca's Downstairs, 425 N Belmont Ave (Museum District - corner of Kensington & Belmont)
* Come join us for brews & news!
* Hosted by Morgan Bailey and John Manall, richmond (at) drinkingliberally.org
Virginia Beach, Virginia
* First Friday of each month, 7:00 PM
* Studio For The Healing Arts, 1611 Colley Ave # D, Norfolk, VA, Norfolk (One block from the Naro theater)
* Zeitgeist the Movie, DVD Door Prize
* http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Virginia9-11Truth/ http://vbdems.org
* One block from the Naro theater in Ghent
* Hosted by Chris Jaramillo and Eileen Levandoski, vabeach (at) drinkingliberally.org