ILLINOIS FOCUS: Alternative Energy, Groups and Events
Physicist and Businessman turned Congressman
Bill Foster is a renowned physicist who won a surprise upset victory to win Dennis Hastert's Congressional Seat. To me that is doubly a sweet victory. First off, we turned Hastert's seat blue. Second, we elected a scientist to Congress, something that can help offset the anti-science Republicans in Congress. Bill Foster WON re-election!
And in IL-10 we have Dan Seals, Chicago Bears football player, running for Congress against Bush-Republican Mark Kirk. Dan Seals lost.
Maria Antonia "Toni" Berrios for State Representative, District 39 (Berrios WON!)
Luis V. Gutierrez for the 4th Congressional District (Gutierrez WON!)
and Scott Harper for the 13th Congressional District (Harper lost)
Blogging Illinois: Prairie State Blue: Open Source Politics
Here are some Democracy for America meetups:
Hanover Township Democrats & Independents: Empower the grassroots by training and supporting citizens and leaders dedicated to electing fiscally and socially responsible candidates to all levels of office. We have been registered with the Illinois State Board of Elections since March 2006. Sign up here for more info.
DFA-Evanston North Shore: This website serves our DFA-Evanston and North Shore community. Our meetings are usually on the first Monday of each month at the Celtic Knot, 626 Church St, Evanston 60201. Show up or sign up for more info.
Northside DFA: Northside DFA is a diverse group of dedicated volunteers working to elect socially progressive, fiscally responsible, and ethically committed Democrats to office at all levels of government. We are active in many local races and focus our energies on working for progressive candidates.
We meet the first Thursday of every month, and we organize weekly volunteer activities supporting our adopted candidates. Sign up for one of our events and get involved!
49th Ward DFA: Voters, residents, and friends with an interest in 49th Ward politics. Sign up here for more info.
Oak Park DFA Meeting: Sign up here for more info.
Chicago South Side DFA: Sign up here for more info.
Downstate Democrats for Change: Sign up here for more info.
Greater Lincoln Park DFA: This chapter serves the Lincoln Park community of Chicago, IL. We're requesting a $20/year membership to cover the expenses of the organization and its activities. Sign up here for more info.
Naperville/Aurora DFA: There are something like 400 DFA members just in Naperville and Aurora! This group hopes to bring those of us living in the Naperville/Aurora area together for some good old fashioned political activism! Sign up here for more info.
Democracy for the 14th District: Sign up here for more info.
Here are some Alternative Energy groups in Illinois:
The Chicago Green Home Meetup Group
Meet other local people who are interested in making their homes environmentally friendly. As developers, designers, and brokers of Green Homes, we are a great resource to learn more about what you can do today to become more sustainable and green! Sign up to find out more about meetings.
Chicago Sustainable Development & New Urbanism Meetup Group
Meet other local people who are interested in Sustainable Development and New Urbanism.
Let's define what we mean by "sustainable," "energy-efficient," "green," etc. and then work toward making it happen here in Chicago! What are the building blocks of "sustainability?" What are the most important issues that need to be addressed? What issues are important to you when you look at your home, your neighborhood and your city? What actions can we take to effect true change that benefits everyone? We hope to answer these questions through conversations with local experts and other community members.
Let's work toward having more energy-efficient, healthy and "sustainable" options when looking for a new home. Let's create neighborhoods that are of human scale, cohesive and prepared for the future. Let's restore our urban fabric and communities!
Sign up to find out about meetings
Here are some Drinking Liberally groups in Illinois:
* Second and fourth Tuesday of each month, 7:00-9:00 pm
* Sheffield's, 3258 N Sheffield Ave (In the back room)
* Hosted by Greg Sasso and Jon Mclennand, chicago (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every other Tuesday, 8:30 pm onward
* O'Leary's Irish Pub, 260 E Lincoln Hwy (On the Corner of 3rd and Lincoln Hwy)
* Parking is available on 3rd St. in the public lot across the tracks.
* Hosted by Kevin Malone, dekalb (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Wednesday, 7:00 pm onward
* The Celtic Knot, 626 Church St (Half block east of Orrington)
* For the upcoming holiday season we're not planning on meeting the week of Thanksgiving or during the month of December
* Hosted by Mark Foisy, Rich Heath and Adelaide Rowe, evanston (at) drinkingliberally.org
* First and third Friday of each month, 8:00pm onward
* Jack's Place, 425 15th St
* Stop on down and bring a friend!
* Hosted by Amy Holcomb and Rachel Griffiths, moline (at) drinkingliberally.org
* 2nd Sunday and 4th Tuesday of every month
* Quigley's Irish Pub, 43 E Jefferson Ave
* Hosted by Rich Wawronowicz and Tom Mikesell, naperville (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Second and fourth Tuesday of each month, 6:30 pm onward
* Kelleher's Irish Pub, 619 SW Water St
* Hosted by Bill Poorman, peoria (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Thursday, 6:30 pm onward
* Brewhaus, 617 E Washington St (Between 6th & 7th)
* We also meet for Drinking Coffee Liberally the 1st & 3rd Saturday mornings of the month at Trout Lilly Cafe
* Hosted by Vera Mount, springfieldil (at) drinkingliberally.org