TEXAS FOCUS: Blogs, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events
Dos Centavos covers Chicano socio-political discourse in Texas.
Latinos For Texas is a progressive Latino blog in Texas.
North Texas Liberal covers the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
Texas Liberal is a blog of politics and political history with something of a Houston focus.
Some Stories of Interest:
My Daughter Died for Being Gay: Stories like this should never happen. And the fact that they do is a condemnation of our society.
Find out how you can combat poverty in your neck of the woods.
We did pretty well with at least down ticket races in Texas:
TexasBlogs have endorsed Chris Turner for State Representative against a very vulnerable Republican incumbent. So I want to highlight Chris's campaign.
Chris Turner WON!
Diana Maldonado is another candidate running in Texas, for HD 52. Maldonado WON!
Nick Lampson for TX-22: This is a district we have to defend against a fierce Republican attempt to retake it...and it is one we really want to hold onto for symbolic reasons. This WAS Tom DeLay's district.
Nick Lampson lost...and Tom DeLay's district is back in Republican hands.
Adrian Garcia For Harris County Sheriff. Adrian Garcia WON!
RICK NORIEGA FOR SENATE:
Texas is a Senate battleground this year. Rick Noriega is the Democratic Nominee for Senate. Rick Noriega lost.
Here are some alternative energy events:
The Dallas Progressive Alternative Energy Meetup Group
Want to know when and where this meeting is? Sign up for this Meetup.
The foremost purpose of The Dallas Alternative Energy Meetup Group is to bring together individuals seeking better, cleaner, more economical energy methods and technical experts working in the field of solar, wind, water, geothermal and other renewable sources to gain knowlege and how to use that knowledge. Any individual that has family or friends who live and breath air, those who live in a home, apartment, condo or townhouse as well as those who own automobiles or any other energy powered machinery would be well served to visit our monthly meetups.
Sign up to find out when a meeting is scheduled
Texas Wind Energy Group (Austin)
This group is to discuss the role of wind power in Texas. Who should attend?
-citizens interested in learning about wind
-homeowners and landowners
-wind industry professionals
-wind industry job-seekers
-anyone who feels they can contribute to the group
Go here to find out more info, sign up, and find out when and where the next meeting is.
Alternative Energy Resources in Texas: a short summary of alternative energy resources for Texas. For more information on each technology, visit the State Energy Alternatives Technology Options page.
And here are some political meetings:
Monthly Colleyville, Grapevine, Southlake Democrats Meeting
The CGS Democrats meet the second Thursday of each month at different locations around our three cities. Arrive at 6:30pm to socialize and eat dinner or at 7:00pm to meet.
Central Market (Southlake, TX)
Southlake, TX 76092
Meet with other local Democrats, listen to special guests speakers, and learn how to participate in the poltical process. We have a lot of fun networking and learning how to activate our voters.
Meeting agendas are posted at the club Website one week in advance of the meeting date at
Look for us in the community room of the Central Market store. It is a nice meeting room and works out nicely. Call if you need directions: (817)939-5671
Lake Area Democratic Club (Social)
A gathering of Democrats and anyone interested in the democratic process.
Location: Seven Points Dairy Queen (Seven Points, TX)
Directions: On hwy 85 just west of hwy 274
We meet at the Seven Points Dairy Queen at 6PM 3rd Tuesday of each month. Come join us and dine at the Queen and have fun while we work to get our county, state, and country back in shape.
Call 214-683-2811 for more information.
Stonewall Democrats is an organization of politically active individuals working for the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender community. Here are some local chapters in Texas:
Stonewall Democrats of Dallas
Stonewall Democrats of Austin
Stonewall Democrats of Houston
Stonewall Democrats of Collin County
Tarrant County Stonewall Democrats
Here are the Texas Drinking Liberally groups for those who like to socialize with fellow Liberals:
* Every Tuesday, 6:30 pm onward
* The Dog and Duck Pub, 406 W 17th St (at Guadalupe)
* Hosted by Ben Andrews, austin (at) drinkingliberally.org
Corpus Christi, Texas
* Third Thursday of each month, 7:00 pm onward
* Cassidy's Irish Pub, 601 N Water St
* Hosted by Teresa Klein and Jim Klein, corpuschristi (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Second Friday of each month, 6:00 pm onward
* The Stoneleigh P, 2926 Maple Ave (at Wolf across from the historic Stoneleigh Hotel)
* Check out our blog for announcements of Eating Liberally, Screening Liberally, Drinking Coffee Liberally and other nonsmoker-friendly gatherings. Also, please "friend" us at MySpace.com/DallasDrinkingLiberally.
* Hosted by Melissa Morgan, dallas (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Third Thursday of each month, 6pm until 8pm
* The Quarter, 15201 Addison Rd (next to Sambuca)
* There is road construction! However, Addison Rd is now re-opened in both directions for the time being.
* Hosted by John McClelland and Erica Stockbridge, addison (at) drinkingliberally.org
* First and third Wednesday of each month, 6:30 pm onward
* Esparza's Tequila Factory and Grill, 3314 Harwood Rd, Bedford
* Hosted by Kathleen Thompson and Todd Hill, midcities (at) drinkingliberally.org
El Paso, Texas
* Third Tuesday of each month, 6:00 pm to 8:00pm
* Hemmingways, 214 Cincinnati Ave
* Hosted by Michael Apodaca and Lily Ruiz, elpaso (at) drinkingliberally.org
* First Thursday of each month, 7 PM onward
* Dog House Tavern, 2517 Bagby St
* TRYING SOMETHING NEW. GOING TO MEET 1ST THURS FOR A FEW MONTHS.
* Visit or post on the Houston forum: http://drinkingliberally.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=6
* Hosted by David Robertson, houston (at) drinkingliberally.org
New Braunfels, Texas
* Third Wednesday of each month, 7:00 pm onward
* The Black Whale, On the Plaza in Downtown New Braunfels
* Hosted by Steve Woolbert and Greg Woodall, newbraunfels (at) drinkingliberally.org
San Antonio, Texas
* Second and fourth Thursday of each month, 6:00 pm onward
* The Cove, 606 W Cypress St (The Cove is located just west of San Pedro, where Cypress runs into Fredericksburg.)
* Hosted by Bill Livermore, Livi Bogrand and Ned Allen, sanantonio (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Thursday, 6:30 pm
* Library Lounge, downstairs in the Rogers Hotel, 100 E Main St (Take the elevator or stairs from lobby)
* Location changes from time to time. Be on the email for updates!
* Food available; no smoking. Conversation-friendly environment!
* Hosted by Nathalie Guyol, waxahachie (at) drinkingliberally.org