MICHIGAN FOCUS: Blogs, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events
MI-07 is a Congressional District that we have a very good shot at taking this year. It is one of the top battleground districts in the country. Mark Schauer is the Democrat running for the MI-07 House seat.
Mark Shauer WON!
MI-09 is the other Michigan house seat we can flip to blue. Gary Peters is running for this seat and is raising a good deal of money to mount a strong challenge to a Bush Republican. I recently talked to people from the Peters campaign and I get the feeling they are extremely well organized and poised to win.
Gary Peters WON!
Michigan Liberal is an excellent source of news, events and politics in Michigan.
Blogging for Michigan is another excellent source of news, events and politics in Michigan.
Mid-Michigan DFA is a good way to stay connected with fellow progressives in the Lansing area.
The Michigan Coalition for Progress is an independent progressive voice for the people of Michigan dedicated to holding elected political leaders accountable and moving Michigan forward.
Here are Some Stories of Interest:
From Wired via Michigan Liberal: The Chevy Volt Will Save GM (And Get The Girl)
Obama's Economic Recovery Plan for the Middle Class
United Solar Ovonic Coming to Battle Creek
The cheapest and best way to cut carbon emissions...and save money.
Michigan Legislature's Scorecard
ALTERNATIVE ENERGY GROUPS AND EVENTS IN MICHIGAN:
Sustainable Michigan-Peak Oil Meetup Group
Come to a Sustainable Michigan/Peak Oil Meetup to generate ideas and discuss actions to raise public consciousness, promote sustainable development. Find others concerned about making Michigan sustainable in energy, food production, green building and other key areas related to relocalizing so that we are prepared in Michigan for any energy/resource decline. Get the support to BE the change. To find out more, join this group.
Peak Moment in Monroe:
Peak Moment refers to the period of energy, climate, and economic uncertainty that we now live in as humans rapidly approach the end of the Age of Oil.
Meet others who share your concern. Generate ideas and discuss actions to raise public consciousness.
Advocate for new urbanism and sustainable development. Explore the potential of alternative energy. And join others interested in community gardening. To find out more, join this group.
Michigan Green Expo!
MAY 8 -10, 2009
This three-day public event is unlike any other, with an exhibit hall full of useful and important information, resources, and products to help you make more responsible choices. Featuring lots of mini-seminars and pavilions specific to consumers or businesses, MI Green Expo can help anyone go green! For more info go here (still under construction?), or Contact Show Management at: (517) 455-7537 or info_at_migreenexpo.com
Here are some events and groups in Michigan:
Monthly Berkley Democratic Club Meeting:
Generally meets on Thursdays from 7pm to 8:30pm and all club meetings are open to the public. Bring your topics, ideas, and opinions to share and interact with other like-minded individuals!
All meetings are held at Anderson Middle School, 3205 Catalpa, Berkley, Michigan in the Media Center. We welcome you to join us!
Contact: http://www.berkleydems.org or info_at_berkleydems.org
Monthly Flint, MI Progressive Caucus Meeting
2nd Tuesday of every month, 6:30:00 PM
Asbury United Methodist Church, Flint
Mid-Michigan DFA Monthly Meeting
First Wed of each month, 7:00 PM
1026 E. Michigan Avenue
Lansing, MI 48933
Phone Number: 517-482-1737
Farmington Hills Club Meeting
Farmington / Farmington Hills Democratic Club
Third Wednesday of Every Month
Starting at 7:30pm
Location: Varies...call or check out website for more info.
Pontiac Democratic Club
Third Saturday of Every Month
Starting at 10:00am
Pontiac City Hall
47450 Woodward Ave., Pontiac
Location: Pontiac City Hall, 47450 Woodward Ave., Pontiac
And for those who want to combine socializing with politics, here are some Michigan Drinking Liberally groups:
Ann Arbor, Michigan
* Second and fourth Thursday of each month, 7pm
* Dominick's, 812 Monroe St. (Behind and across the street from the Law Quad)
* Hosted by Jenay Karlson, Leah Hanzlicek and Jeffrey Schultz, annarbor (at) drinkingliberally.org
Grand Rapids, Michigan
* Third Wednesday of each month, 7:00 pm onward
* Graydon's Crossing, 1223 Plainfield Ave NE (just north of Leonard)
* This month, we're meeting on Tuesday, 4 March at 7:00 for a Primary Results Watch Party
* Hosted by Brent Geers and Phil Skaggs, grandrapids (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Thursday, 7:00 pm onward
* Keweenaw Brewing Company, 408 Shelden Ave (Downtown Houghton)
* Hosted by Jeremy Sandrik and Jon Maxwell, houghton (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Third Thursday of each month, 7:00 pm onward
* Reno's East, 1310 Abbott Rd, East Lansing (Corner of Abbott and Saginaw)
* Hosted by Julielyn Gibbons, lansing (at) drinkingliberally.org
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
* Second Tuesday of each month, 8:00 pm onward
* Mountain Town Brewing Company, 506 W Broadway St
* Hosted by Abhik Roy, Will Tomlinson, Scott Dunn and Brandon Mayer, mtpleasant (at) drinkingliberally.org
Oakland County, Michigan
* Third Thursday of each month, 6:00 pm onward
* Rochester Mills Beer Company, 410 Water St, Rochester (Downtown Rochester)
* Great food and some great brews, bring a hunger and a thirst for Democracy!
* Hosted by Ron Wasczenski, oaklandcounty (at) drinkingliberally.org