.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mole's Progressive Democrat

The Progressive Democrat Newsletter grew out of the frustration of the 2004 election. Originally intended for New York City progressives, its readership is now national. For anyone who wants to be alerted by email whenever this newsletter is updated (usually weekly), please send your email address and let me know what state you live in (so I can keep track of my readership).

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I am a research biologist in NYC. Married with two kids living in Brooklyn.

Google
  • Help end world hunger
  • Friday, August 06, 2010

    Queens NY Focus: Tony Avella for State Senate

    This one has been off my radar, but is another chance to get a more progressive Democrat into the State Senate. Tony Avella is running for Queens State Senate seat SD-11 and he recently annouced some new endorsements:

    As August begins and the campaign speeds up, we're going to need help spreading the word about my campaign to voters in Queens. We need help organizing house parties, knocking on doors, hitting the phones, and more.

    I know how busy you are, but every little bit of help - even something as simple as posting a lawn sign - moves us closer to victory and closer to reforming Albany.

    Please click here to sign up and let us know how you'd like to get involved!

    I'm also happy to report some great news for our campaign. Every week we are landing endorsements from major groups representing New Yorkers who, like us, are demanding real change from Albany. Recently, I've been honored to accept the support of:

    * The Retail, Wholesale, and Department Store Union (RWDSU) -- over 45,000 hardworking New Yorkers are members of RWDSU, a powerful union leading the fight for a living wage, workplace fairness, and better conditions for their members and all working New Yorkers.
    * City Councilmember Margaret Chin -- Margaret Chin, the first Asian-American elected to represent New York City's Chinatown on the City Council, is a strong ally for working-class and middle-class New Yorkers. If I'm elected State Senator, I look forward to working with her to help tenants and small businesses, the bedrock of the City economy. [EDITOR'S NOTE: I was one of the first people to endorse Margaret Chin for City Council...most people called her "too liberal" but I liked that!]
    * The Human Rights Campaign -- HRC is America's largest civil rights organization working to end discrimination based on sexual orientation and achieve equal rights for LGBT Americans. As a deep believer in equal rights under the law for all Americans, I was honored to accept their endorsement as one of five "key" State Senate challengers and look forward to passing marriage equality in Albany once and for all.

    Our campaign is moving full-speed ahead because voters like you have had enough of Albany and its decades-old excuses.

    If you can, I hope you will volunteer to help my campaign to change Albany. And I hope you know that every day I'm working hard to make things better in Queens for you and your family. You know where I stand, you know where I'm from, and you know I will never forget it.

    Thank you for your support,

    Tony

    PS: Check out my recent Q&A with The Albany Project here!


    I urge you to check out the Albany Project article Avella links to and I urge you to give him some of your time and money to help change Albany. If we don't get people like Tony Avella in, we will never see change in NY State.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home