PENNSYLVANIA FOCUS: Blogs, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events
This comes from Daily Kos:
For those that don't know, Kossack Lois Herr is running for Congress here in PA-16 against Joe "Pitts is the" Pitts- co-author of the infamous Stupak-Pitts ammendment...please consider supporting Lois financially at my act blue page for Lois...consider joining the $16 for the 16th district club! And if you are on twitter you can sign up for their new act blue twitter express...go to act blue website and activite the new express...then go to twitter and tweet the following:
donate $16 @herr2010 via Act Blue spedwybabs sent me!
Rachel Maddow discusses right wing extremist Pitts:
Lois Herr has been endorsed by Greater Reading PAC, Rob McCord (Pennsylvania Treasurer), Carolyn T. Comitta (Mayor Borough of West Chester), Women's Campaign Forum, National Women's Political Caucus, National Organization for Women, Mayor Rick Gray (Mayor of Lancaster City), LaDonna Harris
(President of Americans for Indian Opportunity), among many others.
NEWS FROM PENNSYLVANIA:
Luzerne Young Democrats Meeting May 4th 7pm
PA-22: Heating Up
Kent State Shootings 40th anniversary events May 1-4
PA-Sen: Toomey A Proud Racist
Safer Drinking Water Act [SB777] - Source water protection nears a majority of support in the Senate
Philadelphia's move for better government, courtesy of local media
Act to Stop New Waste Coal Plants in PA
The Trib, Global Warming, And The Facts
Lefty Blogs Pennsylvania: a roundup of Progressive News in Pennsylvania
Progress Pittsburgh is building a broad coalition of progressives to transform the governance of our city. Decades of mismanagement by directionless leadership and regressive machine politics have put our city at the brink of collapse. We need a transformation: new vision, new blood, and a new democratic process. We are working to make this transformation happen.
The Pennsylvania Progressive, brining you Pennsylvania News and Politics from a...well, PROGRESSIVE view.
THE HUDDLER: A Pittsburgh blog, political rag, cyber tabloid, and place to hear the word on the street, from the outside looking in.
Here are a few Democracy for America groups in Pennsylvania:
Gettysburg Area DFA Meetup: will be held at the Lutheran Theological Seminary on Seminary Ridge in Gettysburg the first Wednesday of each month. We gather at 6:30 pm to chat and enjoy refreshments. Our meeting begins at 7:00 PM at the Seminary's Valentine Hall, Room 206 -- across from the Seminary Library. There is parking both in front of Valentine Hall (off Springs Ave) and in the Seminary lot next to the Library. Contact Elaine Jones for more information: elainelynchjones_at_gmail.com
Western PA DFA Monthly Meeting: second Thursday of each month, 6:00 PM, Rudy & Son Restaurant, 1641 Mercer - Grove City Rd
Philly for Change Meeting: first Wednesday of the month at 7pm. Find out more about the group at www.phillyforchange.com
Reading Liberally Ridley Park: A Liberal Book Club. "Saving Democracy One Book at a Time"
* When? Second Wednesday of each month, 7:00 pm
* Where? Border's Bookstore (Cafe Area), 1001 Baltimore Pike
* Hosted by Nina Walls
Next, here are some Drinking Liberally chapters in Pennsylvania: second Thursday of each month,
* Third Thursday of each month, 7:00 pm onward
* The Orchards Restaurant, 1580 Orchard Dr
* Ask for the Drinking Liberally group and you'll find us.
* Hosted by Alice Elia, chambersburg (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Second Thursday of each month (next meeting December 13), 6:00 pm onward
* O'Rorke's Eatery & Spirits, 44 Steinwehr Avenue (second floor)
* New Location
* additional parking in National Park Service Visitor Center lot behind restaurant
* Hosted by Eileen H. Potemra, gettysburg (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Tuesday, 7:30 pm onward
* Lancaster Brewing Company, 302 N Plum St (corner of Walnut and Plum)
* Hosted by Jeff Fulmer, Monz Wenner and Cher Rineer, lancaster (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Tuesday, 6:00-9:00 pm
* Tangier, 1801 Lombard St (at 18th St)
* Hosted by Brendan Skwire, philadelphia (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Thursday, 6:30-9:00 pm
* Mermaid Inn, 7673 Germantown Ave
* Hosted by Adam Zion, mtairy (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Second and fourth Thursday of each month, 6pm onward
* Canal Street Restaurant & Pub, 535 Canal St (a few blocks past RACC along the riverfront)
* NEW LOCATION!!! Great local beer from Legacy Brewing Co. & a large selection of wines by the glass.
* NO Thanksgiving meeting, obviously. Enjoy your holiday and all those awkward political conversations with ornery family members!
* Hosted by Kim Stahler and Dan Sauder, reading (at) drinkingliberally.org
State College, Pennsylvania
* First and third Tuesday of each month, 5:30 pm onward
* Hi-Way Pizza, 428 Westerly Pky
* Hosted by Nancy Crane, statecollege (at) drinkingliberally.org
West Chester, Pennsylvania
* First Thursday of each month, 8:00 pm onward
* Ryan's Pub, 124 W Gay St (On Gay St. between Church & Darlington)
* We are still on the once a month format and we have changed the venue to Ryan's. We'll be meeting up on the 2nd floor near the bar.
* Remember, no need to feed the meters in town after 5pm- save that cash for drinks!
* Hosted by Jonathan Long, Daniel Tyman and Jamie Manos, westchester (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Fourth Wednesday of each month, 7:00 pm onward
* The First Capital Dispensing Company, 57 N Pershing Ave (We usually secure a large table or two in the back room.)
* Hosted by Phyllis Wise, Roland Rode and Craig Thomas, york (at) drinkingliberally.org
And some related groups that also mix politics and fun:
Monthly at 5:30 PM on the fourth Friday
Where: Dinosaur, Carnegie Library, 4400 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Description: Critical Mass is a celebration of bicycling as a pollution-free mode of transportation. Critical Mass is not an organization nor it is affiliated with any organization, it's an unorganized coincidence. It's a movement ... of bicycles, in the streets.
Pittsburgh Green Drinks
3rd Friday of every month
Check the website for locations & guest speakers:
Steel-City Stonewall Democrats Happy Hour
Monthly at 17:15 on the fourth Tuesday
Where: Images 965 Liberty Avenue downtown