VIRGINIA FOCUS: Blogs, Obama, Energy and Agriculture, Groups and Events
The Virginia Organizing Project is a statewide, multi-issue citizens' organization committed to challenging injustice by empowering people in local communities to address issues that affect the quality of their lives.
Virginia Poverty Law Center (VPLC) is a not-for-profit organization concentrating in the areas of law that affect low-income families.
The Virginia Young Democrats blog has links to local Young Democrat groups and college clubs, and has information of interest to young voters in Virginia. This is Virginia's political future!
Raising Kaine: a community forum to discuss political issues of interest to Virginians.
Some stories of interest:
Former Virginia Governor Linwood Holton to endorse Barack Obama! More on that: Virginia GOP ex-Governor to Campaign for Obama. From Lincoln Chafee to Linwood Holton, Republicans are coming out for Obama.
Right wing racism rears it's ugly head yet again. The ill-named American Values and Focus on the Family Action Forum (a group which seems unAmerican and displays terrible values) sells "Obama Waffles" with racial stereotype. What is with Republicans? How can they think this kind of adolescent racism is okay?
And speaking of Republican Racism, here's an article from an Arizona blog that is apropos: McCain and the Race Card - The Corporate Media's Role. And let's remember McCain opposed the Martin Luther King, jr. holiday. For those who want to read more about Republican racism, I've discussed it here (from before Obama won the primary), and it is covered in Drew Westin's book The Political Brain with some pretty nasty examples.
Palin's Rape Tax and Other Republican Lunacies
Bad economic news has been hitting us all under the Bush Administration. Here are two examples in Virginia. Virginia's jobless rate the highest in 4 years and Richmond foreclosures jump 805 percent. Yes...fforeclosures jump 805 percent!!! Thank you Bush. Thank you McCain. And the Republicans tell us the recession is all in our heads!
Hampton Roads Veterans and Military Families Rally for Obama
Navy Opposes VA Offshore Drilling. Period. End of Debate.
Here are some Obama groups in Virginia:
Virginia for Obama: Richmond
Arlingtonians for Obama: Arlington
Alexandria 4 Obama: Alexandria
Northern Virginia for Obama!: Fairfax
Greater Richmond for Obama: Richmond
Hampton Roads for Obama: Hampton Roads
Loudoun County for Obama: Loudoun
Tidewater Virginia for Obama: peninsula area
Roanokers for Obama: Roanoke
Charlottesville For Obama: Charlottesville
Alternative Energy and Sustainable Agriculture in Virginia:
Algae Key to Greenhouse Gases Solution? This is a topic I have been skeptical of, but have recently read up more on the topic and feel it is well worth looking into. This article comes from the Roanoke Democracy for America website. They also have a good rundown on Palin's problems.
Living Green DC/MD/VA:
LIVING GREEN DC/MD/VA works to send a message to the community and influence small changes in everyday actions that can have a big impact on our world. As a group we look for ways to make small changes in the way we live, enjoying the support and friendship of other like-minded people. This meetup can only grow if lots of members become Assistant Organizers and provide fun and creative ways to socialize, learn, spread the word, volunteer, network, do fun things. Suggestions are seeing films with environmental themes, dining where organic and locally purchased produce is promoted, visiting farmers markets and socializing afterwards, volunteering for Earth Day activities, meeting in cafes to discuss books and articles, etc.. Whether it's a movie screening or eating a meal with freinds at an environmentally friendly restaurant, you are sure to make an impact, so join the group and volunteer. Go here for more information.
Alternative Energy Resources in Virginia: a short summary of alternative energy resources for Virginia. For more information on each technology, visit the State Energy Alternatives Technology Options page.
Virginia Sustainable Agriculture Organizations and Publications: Whether you're a beginning farmer, or an experienced agricultural producer interested in transitioning to more sustainable practices, you may want to start by learning more about the principles of sustainable agriculture and some of the "systems" approaches associated with it.
Now some other groups and events:
Arlington Democrats Meetup Group
Meet other local Dems! Sponsored by the Arlington Democratic Committee, about 60 attendees meet to discuss local/national politics, listen to guest speakers and receive news on getting involved. Email jamesemcb_at_yahoo.com to join the ACDC listserv or sign up at www.arlingtonyoungdems.org.
Monthly Charlottesville Democratic Breakfast
This gathering takes place on the third Saturday of each month at 9:30a.m. and is usually held at the JABA building on Hillsdale Drive. Pay what you can.
Virginia Beach Democratic Committee Monthly Meeting
Held the First Wednesday of every month, 7 PM, at the Virginia Beach Central Library.
Monthly Interfaith Pray for Peace Gathering
Final Thursday of evern month, 7:15pm
Location: Sojourners UCC Church, 1017 Elliott Ave, Charlottesville
Sponser: Interfaith Cooperation Circle of Central Virginia-URI; Gesher Center; Unity Church
On the final Thursday of every month, the Interfaith Pray for Peace Gathering welcomes people of all faiths, backgrounds, and beliefs to an inspired and inspiring flow of prayers, meditations and songs for peace.
Contact Name: Heena Reiter
Contact email: gesher_at_mindspring.com
Contact Phone: 434-970-7836
Vienna Hispanic Democrats:
Meet with local Hispanic Democrats. To learn more, join here.
Fauquier Democrats Monthly Meeting
Third Tuesday of Each Month, 7:30 pm
Warren Green Building
10 Hotel Street
Old Town, Warrenton
Blue Mondays With the Stafford County Democrats
Every Monday evening at 5 PM
King Street Blues Restaurant
Casual get-together of like minded Democratic Activist
For more info contact: jac_at_j2power.com
Democracy for Virginia:
Here are the local Democracy for America chapters in Virginia. Click on the link for more info:
* Arlington for Democracy (may be dormant...you can go here to contact the organizers and get more up to date info)
* Roanoke DFA
* Tidewater for Democracy
* Virginia Grassroots Coalition (may be dormant...you can contact them here for more info: firstname.lastname@example.org)
For the more social and fun-oriented (and booze oriented), there's Drinking Liberally. Here are the Virginia Drinking Liberally Chapters:
* Second Thursday of each month, 7:00-9:00 pm
* King Street Blues, 5810 Kingstowne Center Drive, Alexandria (Corner of Kingstowne Blvd and Van Dorn Street)
* Hosted by Brian Murray and Mike Sizemore, alexandria (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Thursday, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
* Capitol City Brewing Company, 2700 S Quincy St
* We're usually in the back room at Cap City; check with the host station if you don't see us there!
* "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world" - Margaret Mead
* Hosted by David Swim, Quinn Jones, Michelle Elliott and Bev Wright, arlington (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Thursday, 6:00 pm onward
* South Street Brewery, 106 W South St
* Hosted by Chris Dumler and Clare Wuerker, charlottesville (at) drinkingliberally.org
* First and third Friday of each month, 6pm to 8 or 9
* Glory Days Grill, 9459 Lorton Market St
* First hour of the gathering is part of happy hour
* Hosted by Alan Salisbury and Chris Ambrose, lorton (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Third Thursday of each month, 5:00-7:00 pm
* The New Belmont, 2117 Colonial Ave (upstairs at the bar)
* Hosted by Tom Mitchell and Vivian Paige, norfolk (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every other Wednesday, 7:00 pm onward
* Chiocca's Downstairs, 425 N Belmont Ave (Museum District - corner of Kensington & Belmont)
* Come join us for brews & news!
* Hosted by Morgan Bailey and John Manall, richmond (at) drinkingliberally.org
Virginia Beach, Virginia
* First Friday of each month, 7:00 PM
* Studio For The Healing Arts, 1611 Colley Ave # D, Norfolk, VA, Norfolk (One block from the Naro theater)
* Zeitgeist the Movie, DVD Door Prize
* http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Virginia9-11Truth/ http://vbdems.org
* One block from the Naro theater in Ghent
* Hosted by Chris Jaramillo and Eileen Levandoski, vabeach (at) drinkingliberally.org