IOWA FOCUS: Blogs, Candidates, Peace Vigils, Groups and Events
Bleeding Heartland is a community blog for Democrats and progressives in the state of Iowa. I find this a very good source of Iowa news.
Blog for Iowa is a progressive source of information in Iowa.
The Deprogrammer is an antidote to the misinformation of mainstream media, based in the Quad Cities.
Some Stories of Interest:
Senator Tom Harkin talks about McCain’s Crusade Against Renewable Fuels
Another Iowa poll shows double-digit lead for Obama. No surprise here. With the Republicans ruining our economy, ignoring our farmers and continuing our addiction to oil, why would Iowans vote Republican?
Take the "Iowa Call Challenge" for a chance to meet Biden or Obama
ELECTION ’08: Scoring Secretary of State Seats for Dems Been supporting them since last year. Don't forget to support the Secretary of State Project! Ensure fair and honest elections across the country.
Yes, we can beat Tom Latham and Steve King. I sure hope that's true!
Sign this petition against new coal-fired plants in Iowa. Iowa should not be building coal plants! Wind, biomass and biofuels are perfect for Iowa and should be top priority.
Push utilities to do more on energy efficiency. This does more for us than building new coal or nuke plants and it is MUCH cheaper.
Let me introduce you to a candidate running for Conrgess in Iowa. Becky Greenwald is running against Tom Latham (R) in the IA-04 district.
Let me quote from her website:
"In Tom Latham, we have a congressman who has continually opposed women’s reproductive rights and has given a green light and a blank check to George Bush’s war in Iraq.
Together, we will make a difference for those struggling to get by on the minimum wage.
We will make a difference for those who cannot afford access to quality healthcare.
We will make a difference for those brave men and women returning from Iraq and Afghanistan and facing life with an injury and the scars of war.
We will make a difference when we repeal the unfunded mandate known as No Child Left Behind.
We will make a difference when we invest in homegrown energy alternatives which lessen our dependence on foreign oil, clean up our environment, and put Iowans to work at high-paying jobs which can’t be outsourced and can be unionized."
You can help out Becky either by donating through my Act Blue Site or by volunteering for her campaign if you live in her area.
Weekly Anti-War Vigil at Nollen Plaza
11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
Nollen Plaza, 3rd and Locust Des Moines, IA
Contact: Wendy Vasquez
Please join us for this weekly witness against the war.
For more information, contact Wendy Vasquez at 515-771-8656.
Women for Peace Knitters
Supporting the peaceful arts of knitting and crocheting. This group meets monthly on the 2nd Tuesday, 9:30-11:30 am at Prairiewoods, 120 E Boyson Rd, Hiawatha. (Group also meets fourth Tuesdays each month at Marion Public Library, 7-8:30 pm., Marion.) For more information call 377-3252.
Cedar Rapids Peace Vigil
Women for Peace, Iowa, meet each Saturday at noon at the corner of 1st Avenue and Collins Road.
And for those who are focused on combining fun and politics, here are the local Drinking Liberally groups in Iowa:
* Every Friday, 5:00 pm onward
* Legends American Grill, 200 Stanton Ave, 7th Floor (in Campustown)
* The group will meet in the large accessible party room left of the elevators unless it is booked by a larger group. We will then be in the Sky Box. Ask a waiter for our location.
* Hosted by Jan Bauer and Brent Wynja, ames (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Thursday, 8:00 p.m. onward
* The Lift, 222 4th St (between Court Ave and Walnut)
* Hosted by Amanda Mittlestadt, Tricia Kell, Cassie Samspon and Matt Jesson, desmoines (at) drinkingliberally.org
West Des Moines
* Third Friday of each month, 5:00-7:00 pm
* Tonic, 5535 George M Mills Civic Pky (within West Glen Towncenter)
* Hosted by Cassie Sampson, Mikael Brown and Jenny Irlmeier, wdsm (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Second Monday of each month, 6:00-7:30 pm
* Continental Wine Bar, 428 E Locust St
* Hosted by Marcus Walsh and Tricia Kell, desmoines (at) eatingliberally.org
Iowa City, Iowa
* Every Thursday, 8:00 pm onward
* The Mill Restaurant, 120 E Burlington StBlg