.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mole's Progressive Democrat

The Progressive Democrat Newsletter grew out of the frustration of the 2004 election. Originally intended for New York City progressives, its readership is now national. For anyone who wants to be alerted by email whenever this newsletter is updated (usually weekly), please send your email address and let me know what state you live in (so I can keep track of my readership).

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I am a research biologist in NYC. Married with two kids living in Brooklyn.

Google
  • Help end world hunger
  • Saturday, June 02, 2007

    Progressive Democrat Issue 124: THOUGHTS

    For the next couple of months the newsletter will be pretty minimal. But I will do my best to keep it going.

    First thing I want to mention is someone I recently met in NYC who I first heard about through John Kerry's new book. Majora Carter, founder of Sustainable South Bronx, was a guest at one of my local political meetings and she really rocks! I urge you all to check out Sustainable South Bronx not just because of the good work they do in NYC, but because I think their ideas and their model for environmental justice is applicable around the nation. Green jobs, parks, green roofs, organizing to preserve community...and she did it all in one of the poorest communities in America.

    Second, I want to express my sadness at the passing of one of the founders and most prominent members of the progressive blogsphere: Steve Gilliard. I didn't know Steve Gilliard, but he was a big name in blogging when I was just barely poking around wondering what Daily Kos was all about. Two diaries on Daily Kos cover his death better than I can:

    Steve Gilliard has died, by Rosebuddear

    and

    Steve Gilliard - R.I.P. by Meteor Blades

    This photo from Campus Progress:


    I once heard someone say of Gilliard an utmost complement: There are those who bullshit and those who don't and Steve was one of those who don't. To me, that is a great compliment in this world. I have a little bit more about him in the context of NYC politics below.

    Here is this week's VERY SHORT newsletter (sorry, no time for local stuff).

    TABLE OF CONTENTS:

    PROTESTING BUSH: Responding to Bush's Visit to New Jersey

    STEVE GILLIARD SPEAKS: Comments on precedent-setting, corrupt development in Brooklyn

    CANDIDATE AND ACTIVIST TRAINING IN INDIAN COUNTRY

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home