.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mole's Progressive Democrat

The Progressive Democrat Newsletter grew out of the frustration of the 2004 election. Originally intended for New York City progressives, its readership is now national. For anyone who wants to be alerted by email whenever this newsletter is updated (usually weekly), please send your email address and let me know what state you live in (so I can keep track of my readership).

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I am a research biologist in NYC. Married with two kids living in Brooklyn.

Google
  • Help end world hunger
  • Saturday, May 26, 2007

    Progressive Democrat Issue 123: THOUGHTS

    This week will be a very short newsletter. A friend (and reader of this newsletter!) is running for a judicial seat in Brooklyn, so we're helping him. Meanwhile, I am meeting tomorrow with Majora Carter to discuss some local NYC issues with a small group of people I have invited. For those who have read John Kerry's book, you know who she is. For those who haven't GET IT and when you read Chapter 3 you will be introduced to Majora Carter. She is an amazing person and I intend to write more about her and what she does in the near future. In addition to local politics, Joy and I both have hard deadlines for our work. We are going to California soon. I am presenting at a conference there...I had expected a poster but was given a plenery session! I will be presenting a talk to the ENTIRE meeting. SO I have to prepare a big, big talk. Meanwhile, Joy has to to get a paper submitted before we leave. So, we are busier than usual with work!

    So, forgive the short newsletter. I hope it is still useful.

    This week has widely been seen as the week where the Democrats, now in charge of both Houses of Congress, though only barely in the Senate, lost the initiative to Bush. The Democratic Congress has been playing its cards well up to now. This week I think they fumbled. I don't think they betrayed the voters, but I think they made a political miscalculation. I think most Democrats STILL are solidly opposed to the ar and Bush's insane foreign policy, but they have become split over the best way to approach opposition and some still think that defunding the war fails the troops. I disagree with them and wish they would take a stronger stand. But I will give them this: the Democratic Congress grabbed the initiative from Bush starting in January and held it spectacularly until May.

    In May they stumbled. The House is still holding relatively strongly against Bush. Most of the newly elected, freshmen Congress Critters that we worked so hard to elect in the House are holding firm. Not all of them, but most of them. I think we can still be proud of what we accomplished in the House in 2006.

    In the Senate, we only hold a majority if we count Lieberman. We CAN count on him for being pro-Choice and pro-environment, in general. But when it comes to Bush's war, he is NOT on our side. That means, on this issue we do NOT have the initiative and never did. This week's loss to a large degree can be pinned on the fact that we have to depend in Lieberman to make it a Democratic Senate. His solid pro-Bush stand on this issue means anyone who is wavering will probably side with him.

    My adivice to those who are pissed at this week's failure is to show the nation where you stand. Tell the media what you think. Tell them in strong but clear words and tell them as often as you have time. Sound off BIG time.

    Second, I have been pushing for sending a message through fundraising. Right now, I cannot suggest donating to the Democratic Party per se, because the message that needs to be sent is disapproval. But one group helped the Democrats win big in 2006 AND has held firm against the war with NO wavering. That group is Democracy for America. If this month the Democrats lose in fundraising compared with recent months, but DFA gains big time, the message will be sent. Donate to Democracy for America and the message will be sent without giving a single inch to the Republicans.

    Here is this week's newsletter:

    TABLE OF CONTENTS:

    AMERICAN MUSLIMS: Right wing fear vs. reality

    KENTUCKY CORRUPTION: 50% of Republicans Support Corruption

    UNEMPLOYMENT

    NEW JERSEY GROUPS AND EVENTS

    NYC FOCUS: The REAL Price of Irresponsible Development


    NYC GROUPS AND EVENTS

    MIDWEST GROUPS AND EVENTS

    VIRGINIA GROUPS AND EVENTS

    CALIFORNIA GROUPS AND EVENTS

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home