.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mole's Progressive Democrat

The Progressive Democrat Newsletter grew out of the frustration of the 2004 election. Originally intended for New York City progressives, its readership is now national. For anyone who wants to be alerted by email whenever this newsletter is updated (usually weekly), please send your email address and let me know what state you live in (so I can keep track of my readership).

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I am a research biologist in NYC. Married with two kids living in Brooklyn.

Google
  • Help end world hunger
  • Saturday, October 28, 2006

    Progressive Democrat Issue 93: THOUGHTS

    A friend and fellow Brooklyn activist took me to task for what he saw as too pessimistic a tone regarding winning back the House. Well, since he is among the most active activists I know, I will accept pretty much any criticism he offers.

    My point last week was not to be pessimistic, but rather to warn that we Democrats are talking too much and doing too little at what is a very critical time. But I also should note that the week I brought up the fact that Democrats are slipping in many polls was a mere week after a big surge. So, I still see our chances as being very good...but I also still think we need to work at it!

    My perhaps overly pessimistic comments did, I should point out, lead to a few more donations on my Act Blue sites. Two more people donated at my Election Protection site which includes both Secretaries of State and Attorneys General positions.

    The biggest shifts this week are in Virginia and New York. As I predicted back in March, New York State is turning into our biggest pick up chance. We are surging in several races, though mostly Republicans are still marginally ahead. Topping it off, as I will cover below, a group of Iraq and Afghanistan war vets has rated New York's Republican Congressmen C+ or below, while rating almost all Democrats B or higher. If we push that theme, it could really make a difference. Right now there are DEFINITELY four Republicans who are seriously endangered, and polls are starting to look good in a couple of others. I believe it is time to resurrect my Sweep NY State theme. I have been saying since March we have a shot at 4-6 or more pick ups. Help us make that happen with donations or, if you live in NY State, by volunteering. You can always ask me what volunteer opportunities there are in your area.

    In Virginia, the Senate race continues to be neck and neck, with current trends somewhat favoring the racist Republican. The VA-2 House race also continues to be neck and neck, and I really think if we push REALLY hard in VA-2, it could make the difference for BOTH the House and Senate. If I were to choose a single race that could determine everything, it would be VA-2. But what has changed recently is that polls in two other Virginia House races are looking up. VA-10 has mostly been off everyone's radar, but now in a recent poll the Dem is within 5 points of the Republican incumbent. That means VA-10 is now potentially competitive. VA-5 has also picked up, though remains a longshot. But if momentum continues, that makes three districts where pushing hard will not only possibly pick up House Seats, but will help boot out Racist Republican Allen. Please help win big this year in Virginia with donations and/or (if you live nearby) volunteering. Again, feel free to ask me what is available in your area.

    I also want to highlight Iowa and Indiana. Iowa at first had an endangered Democrat. No longer really. But we have a good shot at BOTH IA-1 and IA-2. So things are looking up better and better in Iowa. Keep pusing in Iowa! Indiana has for some time looked good for us, with three good pick up chances. But there has also been an endangered Democrat. In IN-7 the Democratic incumbent has been one of the most targeted Democrat this year. Polls are showing her slipping under Republican smears. So please, help not only to defeat Republicans in IN-2, -8 and -9, but also help out a good Democrat hold her seat in IN-7. Keep pusing in Indiana!

    My friend's accusation that I was being too pessimistic also led to my analyzing my own somewhat dual personality regarding this election. So, for the benefit of my pessimistic and optimistic self, as well as my pessimistic and optimistic readers, I have created two new Act Blue sites:

    The Pessimistic Democrat: dedicated to defending those Senate and House seats we may be in danger of losing, and the most likely pick up opportunities, ignoring the "pie in the sky" predictions of a huge surge.

    The Optimistic Democrat: assuming defense is no problem and the most likely pick ups will happen with no problem, this site aims to reach beyond the currend expectations and turn the Democratic surge into a full, kick ass, historical route of the corrupt Republicans.

    For the record, within mere hours of creating the site, and without ANY publicizing, someone donated $200 to the Pessimistic Democrat site, but so far no one has donated to the Optimistic Democrat site.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home