Detroit, MI Focus
There is no better way to show your Democratic Pride than to wear Michigan Democratic Party logo.
Buy Democratic party buttons, shirts, etc. here.
PROGRESSIVE TALK RADIO DETROIT:
Detroit's only liberal talk station
AM1310 WDTW Detroit
Check out their program schedule here.
Check out their calendar of local Detroit events here.
Current TV, founded by Al Gore, includes some of the best journalism in America today. In particular their Vanguard series is amazing and should not be missed by ANYONE who wants to know in depth coverage of some of the major stories in the world.
In most areas Current TV is available on:
DIRECTV Channel 358
DISH Network Channel 196
Comcast Digital: Channel 107
AT&T U-Verse: Channel 189
Check out their program schedule here.
Motor City Liberal: "I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell." --Harry S. Truman
From the ballot box to the classroom, the dedicated workers, organizers, and leaders who forged this great organization and maintain its status as a champion of social justice, fought long and hard to ensure that the voices of African Americans and other minorities would be heard.
For one hundred years, it has been the talent and tenacity of NAACP members that has saved lives and changed many negative aspects of American society.
The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination.
Here are some local branches of the NAACP:
Wayne State University
5221 GULLEN MALL RM 50 MAILBOX #23
Detroit, MI 48202
Detroit Central Branch
Detroit, MI 48202
Detroit Youth Council
Detroit, MI 48224
DEMOCRACY FOR METRO DETROIT:
The local affiliate of Howard Dean's Democracy for America. The Progressive Grassroots at its best.
We are committed to...
* STRONG, SUSTAINED, ACTIVE GRASSROOTS INVOLVEMENT in the democratic process.
* Promoting AN AMERICA WHERE CANDIDATES AND OFFICE HOLDERS TELL THE TRUTH about policy choices and stand up for what they believe.
* FIGHTING AGAINST THE INFLUENCE AND AGENDA OF THE TWO PILLARS OF GEORGE W. BUSH'S WASHINGTON: the far-right wing and their radical, divisive policies, and the selfish special interests who dominate politics.
* FIGHTING FOR PROGRESSIVE POLICIES, like health care for all; investment in children; equal rights under the law; fiscal responsibility; environmental protection; and a national security policy that makes America stronger by advancing progressive values.
How We're Getting There: We are...
* Recruiting and encouraging progressive candidates to run for office at every level. We will help them find the resources to campaign successfully with small donations from grassroots supporters, to begin to break the stranglehold special interests have on the political process.
* Raising funds for Congressional candidates for whom financial support could be the key to winning, and whose election will be key to winning back a House of Representatives that has become the tool of the right wing.
* Developing strategic partnerships with other progressive organizations to maximize resources for candidate recruitment, training, and organization.
* Building relationships with other political initiatives to focus on changing the failed, destructive policies of the Bush Administration.
Please join us in making a difference in the upcoming elections in the Metro Detroit area. Call us at (248) 582-3178 or E-mail us at email@example.com to find how you can help us take our city and state back.
To Join click here.
Democracy for Metro Detroit Book Club
Books are selected from a range of genres including, but not limited to: political thought, sociology, history, and linguistics. Typically we read works to promote a progressive, liberal agenda. Occasionally, we will select works that are in direct contrast to a progressive, liberal agenda in order to better understand other world views and challenge some of our own assumptions.
Check out their reading list here.
Join the Book Club here.
Sierra Club Michigan Chapter
2727 2nd Ave., Metropolitan Center for High Technology, Detroit, MI 48201
Sierra Club is 18,000 members strong in Michigan. We are volunteer-led and we actively coordinate our work on many levels. Sierra Club’s ten groups in Michigan work for healthier communities at the local level. The Michigan Chapter works with volunteer leaders, state agencies and the legislature for better environmental stewardship statewide. Nationally, Sierra Club works to improve federal protections in the Great Lakes basin and across the country.
Sierra Club members care about clean water and air, wild biodiversity, and a safe energy future. We raise public awareness of human health and environmental threats. We monitor water quality to help enforcement efforts. We build coalitions for our issue campaigns to diversify support. Sierra Club finds sensible policy solutions to our state’s problems. When needed, we take legal action to stop corporate interests and government from harming public health and resources.
For more info, call: (313) 965-0055
Local Food Co-op in Detroit: Where I live in Brooklyn, the Park Slope Food Co-op is not only one of the most successful Co-ops in America, but is one of the most successful BUSINESSES in America. It also has one of the most diverse customer bases. I recommend looking into your local food co-op:
Cass Corridor Food Co-op
456 Charlotte Street
Detroit, Michigan 48201
Phone: (313) 831-7452
FAX: (313) 832-4776
GREEN BUSINESSES IN THE DETROIT AREA: These are some of the best local businesses around. Taken from the Green America Green Pages
Offers bicycle rentals, service, retail, and tours. Experience the Motor City on two wheels!
1340 E. Atwater St.
Detroit, MI 48207
Law Offices of Deborah Groban Olson
Specializes in forming and representing worker-owned companies, employee stock ownership plans, cooperatives, and nonprofit organizations, and in representing unions in business matters.
1021 Nottingham Rd.
Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
Garrison LawHouse PC
Full-service law firm concentrating on elder law, estate planning, and criminal defense in Michigan and Pennsylvania. Sliding fees for Medicaid clients, Pro Bono Standard.
1800 Grindley Park St., Ste. 6
Dearborn, MI 48124-2553
Holistic Food 4 Pets
Premium food, treats, supplements, and more for dogs and cats delivered guaranteed fresh. Human-grade proteins, no fillers, preservatives, or by-products. "Pets live longer!"
16532 Country Club
Livonia, MI 48154
Maggie's Organics/Clean Clothes
Since 1992, providing durable, comfortable, affordable socks, tights, Fair Labor Certified clothing, and stuffed toys. All made with certified organic fibers using environment-sustaining production methods.
306 W. Cross St.
Ypsilanti, MI 48197-2403
BACK TO PROGRESSIVE DEMOCRAT NEWSLETTER MAIN PAGE