TEXAS FOCUS: Blogs, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events
Dos Centavos covers Chicano socio-political discourse in Texas.
LeftyBlogs Texas is the place to find out what's happening in the progressive blogosphere across Texas.
North Texas Liberal covers the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
Texas Liberal is a blog of politics and political history with something of a Houston focus.
To the Left of College Station: A Liberal Voice in a Conservative Community
Some Stories of Interest:
The 81st Legislature - Collin County winners and loosers
Grimes County Homeless Count Triples
Ann Coulter Under Investigation On Federal Charges.
Hypocrite Hutchison: I’ll Vote Against the Stimulus But Won’t Turn Down the Money If It Passes
Candidates for Council and School Board Announce
Tale of Two Crooks: Coleman and Blagojevich
President Obama’s Rural Policy
TX-32: Pete Sessions Wants the GOP to Act Like the Taliban
Financing Texas' public schools
Georgia peanut plant operated in Texas without license or inspections: This is the kind of thing that happens when you don't enforce regulations.
Republicans Lose Party Identification in Texas
Cornyn Votes Against SCHIP...of course. Another Republican who loves helping rich bankers get bailed out but won't help regular Americans.
New Texas House rules aim to prevent another Tom Craddick leadership
Texas Republicans to Texas Children: Drop Dead
Could it happen in Texas? The big waste problem with coal.
Stimulus Money for Nuclear Reactors? NO! Nuke power just is NOT a good solution for America...AND it is too expensive! And, there are plans to keep the radioative waste in Texas: Radioactive Waste to be stored in West Texas
Texas Supporters of California's Hate Amendment: Boycott List!
Here are some alternative energy groups and events:
Texas Solar Energy Society: The TXSES mission is : To increase awareness of the potential of solar energy and other renewable energy applications and to promote the wise use of sustainable and non-polluting resources. Find local chapters here. Check out their calendar for upcoming events.
The Dallas Progressive Alternative Energy Meetup Group
Want to know when and where this meeting is? Sign up for this Meetup.
The foremost purpose of The Dallas Alternative Energy Meetup Group is to bring together individuals seeking better, cleaner, more economical energy methods and technical experts working in the field of solar, wind, water, geothermal and other renewable sources to gain knowlege and how to use that knowledge. Any individual that has family or friends who live and breath air, those who live in a home, apartment, condo or townhouse as well as those who own automobiles or any other energy powered machinery would be well served to visit our monthly meetups.
Sign up to find out when a meeting is scheduled
Texas Wind Energy Group (Austin)
This group is to discuss the role of wind power in Texas. Who should attend?
-citizens interested in learning about wind
-homeowners and landowners
-wind industry professionals
-wind industry job-seekers
-anyone who feels they can contribute to the group
Go here to find out more info, sign up, and find out when and where the next meeting is.
Alternative Energy Resources in Texas: a short summary of alternative energy resources for Texas. For more information on each technology, visit the State Energy Alternatives Technology Options page.
And here are some groups and meetings:
The Texas Fair Trade Coalition (TFTC) is a diverse, nonpartisan, coalition of unions, environmental advocacy groups, consumer groups, family farmers, religious organizations, women's advocacy groups, low-income and immigrant advocacy groups, professors, students, public interest and fair trade groups. TFTC promotes democratic control over fiscal and social policies, social justice, workers' rights and livable wages, and sustainable development in trade policy, in Texas and worldwide.
The Sustainable Food Center creates opportunities for individuals to make healthy food choices and to participate in a vibrant local food system. Through organic food gardening, relationships with area farmers, interactive cooking classes and nutrition education, children and adults have increased access to locally grown food and are empowered to improve the long-term health of Central Texans and our environment.
Monthly Colleyville, Grapevine, Southlake Democrats Meeting
The CGS Democrats meet the second Thursday of each month at different locations around our three cities. Arrive at 6:30pm to socialize and eat dinner or at 7:00pm to meet.
Central Market (Southlake, TX)
Southlake, TX 76092
Meet with other local Democrats, listen to special guests speakers, and learn how to participate in the poltical process. We have a lot of fun networking and learning how to activate our voters.
Meeting agendas are posted at the club Website one week in advance of the meeting date at
Look for us in the community room of the Central Market store. It is a nice meeting room and works out nicely. Call if you need directions: (817)939-5671
Lake Area Democratic Club (Social)
A gathering of Democrats and anyone interested in the democratic process.
Location: Seven Points Dairy Queen (Seven Points, TX)
Directions: On hwy 85 just west of hwy 274
We meet at the Seven Points Dairy Queen at 6PM 3rd Tuesday of each month. Come join us and dine at the Queen and have fun while we work to get our county, state, and country back in shape.
Call 214-683-2811 for more information.
Stonewall Democrats is an organization of politically active individuals working for the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender community. Here are some local chapters in Texas:
Stonewall Democrats of Dallas
Stonewall Democrats of Austin
Stonewall Democrats of Houston
Stonewall Democrats of Collin County
Tarrant County Stonewall Democrats
Here are the Texas Drinking Liberally groups for those who like to socialize with fellow Liberals:
* Every Tuesday, 6:30 pm onward
* The Dog and Duck Pub, 406 W 17th St (at Guadalupe)
* Hosted by Ben Andrews, austin (at) drinkingliberally.org
Corpus Christi, Texas
* Third Thursday of each month, 7:00 pm onward
* Cassidy's Irish Pub, 601 N Water St
* Hosted by Teresa Klein and Jim Klein, corpuschristi (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Second Friday of each month, 6:00 pm onward
* The Stoneleigh P, 2926 Maple Ave (at Wolf across from the historic Stoneleigh Hotel)
* Check out our blog for announcements of Eating Liberally, Screening Liberally, Drinking Coffee Liberally and other nonsmoker-friendly gatherings. Also, please "friend" us at MySpace.com/DallasDrinkingLiberally.
* Hosted by Melissa Morgan, dallas (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Third Thursday of each month, 6pm until 8pm
* The Quarter, 15201 Addison Rd (next to Sambuca)
* There is road construction! However, Addison Rd is now re-opened in both directions for the time being.
* Hosted by John McClelland and Erica Stockbridge, addison (at) drinkingliberally.org
* First and third Wednesday of each month, 6:30 pm onward
* Esparza's Tequila Factory and Grill, 3314 Harwood Rd, Bedford
* Hosted by Kathleen Thompson and Todd Hill, midcities (at) drinkingliberally.org
El Paso, Texas
* Third Tuesday of each month, 6:00 pm to 8:00pm
* Hemmingways, 214 Cincinnati Ave
* Hosted by Michael Apodaca and Lily Ruiz, elpaso (at) drinkingliberally.org
* First Thursday of each month, 7 PM onward
* Dog House Tavern, 2517 Bagby St
* TRYING SOMETHING NEW. GOING TO MEET 1ST THURS FOR A FEW MONTHS.
* Visit or post on the Houston forum: http://drinkingliberally.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=6
* Hosted by David Robertson, houston (at) drinkingliberally.org
New Braunfels, Texas
* Third Wednesday of each month, 7:00 pm onward
* The Black Whale, On the Plaza in Downtown New Braunfels
* Hosted by Steve Woolbert and Greg Woodall, newbraunfels (at) drinkingliberally.org
San Antonio, Texas
* Second and fourth Thursday of each month, 6:00 pm onward
* The Cove, 606 W Cypress St (The Cove is located just west of San Pedro, where Cypress runs into Fredericksburg.)
* Hosted by Bill Livermore, Livi Bogrand and Ned Allen, sanantonio (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Thursday, 6:30 pm
* Library Lounge, downstairs in the Rogers Hotel, 100 E Main St (Take the elevator or stairs from lobby)
* Location changes from time to time. Be on the email for updates!
* Food available; no smoking. Conversation-friendly environment!
* Hosted by Nathalie Guyol, waxahachie (at) drinkingliberally.org