FLORIDA FOCUS: Blogs, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events
The Florida Progressive Coalition coverse progressive politics in Florida.
LeftyBlogs Florida is the place to find out what's happening in the progressive blogosphere across Florida.
Here are some stories of interest:
Racist ounty Republican Party official Carol Carter comeback attempt
Republican Gus Barreiro is disgusting
Even in Florida, homeless people freeze to death
Seminole Commissioner Van Der Weide Phone Scandal Still Unresolved
Tale of Two Crooks: Coleman and Blagojevich
President Obama’s Rural Policy
redistricting with fairness just might have a chance...and on a related note: Fair Districts Florida
Congress Takes First Step on the Road to a New Clean Energy Economy
Miami Has a Bright Future in Green Economy
Political Lessons of the Movie Milk
Conservatives Lies About Stimulus Plan...and another Republican Lie About the Stimulus Plan...and MORE about Republican Lies Regarding the Stimulus Plan...and Paul Krugman Debunks Republican Lies About Stimulus Plan. What is with Repubs? They were so eager to give a bailout to wealthy bankers, why are they so reluctant to help the rest of America?
Mass Transit = Potential Major Economic Stimulus
Alternative Energy in Florida:
Here is a biodiesel cooperative in Florida. If you drive a diesel truck or car, check them out.
Brevard Biodiesel seeks to promote the availability and use of clean-burning, renewable biodiesel fuel as a replacement for petroleum by raising public awareness of its environmental, economic, and national security benefits.
Check out their website. They have some good environmental news reports on their site.
Here are some other alternative energy groups in Florida:
SolarCity Gainesville is a non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of solar and renewable energy in Gainesville and Alachua County. Go here for more info.
Jacksonville's Sustainable Future:
Jacksonville's Sustainable Future is a resource for those who are concerned about Global Climate Change and want to do something, as well as a resource for those who want to learn more.
Our focus is on creating a better world for future generations.
Join us to discuss citizen awareness projects, personal endeavors, and other plans for a better future for Jacksonville, Orange Park, the Beaches, St. Augustine, Fernandina, and the other areas that make up Greater Jacksonville. Go here for more info.
We are working on a number of projects related to energy conservation, energy efficiency, and renewable energy.
Please join us if you want to work towards a greener, cleaner, and healthier future for our community.
Alternative Energy Resources in Florida: a short summary of alternative energy resources for Florida. For more information on each technology, visit the State Energy Alternatives Technology Options page.
Alternative Fuels & Vehicles Conference + Expo
Apr 19, 2009 - Apr 22, 2009
Orlando, Florida - The Alternative Fuel Vehicle Institute (AFVi) presents the 15th annual AF&V Conference + Expo April 19-22, 2009 in Orlando, Florida. Alternative fuels, vehicles and advanced technologies for public and private fleet applications are the focal points of this fuel and technology neutral conference. As the largest conference and tradeshow of its kind, AF&V 2009 is the place to educate, demonstrate and sell. More info here.
Here are some Florida groups and events:
Florida Public Transportation Association
The Florida Public Transportation Association (FPTA) is chartered to fulfill the following objectives:
1. To provide a forum for public transit service providers and affiliated organizations to exchange experiences, studies and to engage in meaningful discussion of mutual problems, concerns and issues.
2. To foster the improvement of public transportation in the state by promoting the beneficial use of research and factual study.
3. To act as a collective voice in promoting the recognition, use, expansion and enhancement of public transportation in the state.
4. To elicit cooperation efforts among member agencies, their employees, agents and customers, along with the general public to pursue and achieve common interests.
5. To represent the interests of member agencies, individually or collectively, in forums appropriate for the prosecution, enforcement or defense of issues of interest to those members.
6. To receive and apply funds for the achievement and furtherance of organizational purposes and objectives, including levying, assessing, charging and collecting dues from the membership of the Association.
7. To acquire, hold and own land, facilities, equipment and furnishings and do all things necessary and incident to carrying out the organizational purposes and objectives.
Miami-Dade Democratic Black Caucus Regularly Scheduled Meeting
Second Saturday of every month at 10 AM
Event Location: El-Portal City Hall 500 NE 87 Street, The Village of El-Portal.
We welcome new membership, please join us, free continental breakfast served! Honorable Joyce A. Davis, President 305-754-0934
Democratic Hispanic Caucus of Miami-Dade
Fourth Wednesday of every month, 7:00PM
Hoja Nueva Restaurant at the Westin Colonade
Please attend the monthly meeting for the Miami Dade Democratic Hispanic Caucus of Florida. For more info: 305 632-0036
Miami Dade Cuban American Democratic Club
Miami Dade Cuban American Democratic Club Breakfast Meeting
Event Location: “Versailles” restaurant located at 3555 SW 8 ST Miami, FL 33135 Fourth Saturday of each month, 9:00 a.m. (If this is the same Versailles Cuban restaurant that I know in California, the food is fantastic! Particularly the roast chicken and rost pork).
The Miami Dade Cuban American Democratic Club invites you to its next breakfast meeting at “Versailles” restaurant located at 3555 SW 8 St
Cost: $15 per person.
For more info contact: Hector Caraballo (President, Miami Dade Cuban American Democratic Club) at hector_at_miamicubandems.org
MIAMI-DADE YOUNG DEMS MONTHLY MEETING
Fourth Tuesday of every month, 7pm
1201 Biscayne Ave. Miami, FL 33131
For info: 786-425-1130
Planned Parenthood Mixer
Join us at On Tapp Lounge for our monthly mixer with Planned Parenthood. On Tapp is located on New Haven Haven just before you go over the Melbourne Causeway on the left side.
We meet at 5:30 pm the 4th Tuesday of every month. Brevard NOW and Planned Parenthood will celebrate the 35th anniversary of Roe v Wade and discuss the 2008 plans for both our organization. For more info, please call Michele Paccione/President at 480-9295 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Organization: Brevard NOW
Event link: www.myspace.com/brevardnow
Sumter County Democratic Club
P.O. Box 1066 Wildwood, FL 34785
General Meeting at 7:00 p.m. on the 2nd Thursday of every month Sumterville Community Center
Tri-County Women's Democratic Club
General Meeting at 9:30 a.m. on the 1st Monday of every month at the Sumter County Sheriff's Annex on Highway 466 @ Morse Boulevard.
Charlotte County Democrats meeting
The Charlotte County Democratic Club meets on the second Saturday of every month. Please join us at 9:30 AM for coffee and snacks. The meeting starts at 10 AM. Location is the upstairs meeting room at the Public Library on Aaron Street in Port Charlotte. Call 743-5560 for directions or more info.
Peace Vigil West New Haven 5:00PM - 6:30PM
First Wednesday of the month at the "Peace Corner" 1700 West New Haven (just west of the Melbourne Square Mall). Signs provided or bring your own. Please bring nonperishable food items for "Food Not Bombs". Food is distributed to local families in need.
More info 321-720-3520 or email@example.com
Organization: Patriots For Peace
Weekly Peace Vigil in Homosassa
Every Tuesday, 4:00 PM
Meet at Hardee's at Route 19 & Hall's River Road - Homosassa
Call Ed Murphy 382-0876 for more info
Weekly Peace Vigil in Inverness
Every Thursday, 5:00 PM
Old Citrus Courthouse
Call Beverly at 400-4174 for more info
And for those interested in a more fun way to be liberal, here are Florida's Drinking Liberal groups:
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
* Every Thursday, 7:00 pm onward
* Island Jack's Patio Bar and Grille, 5425 W Atlantic Blvd, Margate (just East of 441)
* Hosted by Jacqueline Hope Derby and Dave Pfeffer, ftlauderdale (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Wednesday, 6:00 pm onward
* Johnny's Fillin' Station, 2706 S Ferncreek Ave (NE corner of Michigan and Fern Creek)
* Hosted by Dan Hill, orlando (at) drinkingliberally.or
* Every Thursday, 7:00 pm onward
* Intermission, 214 S Palafox St
* Hosted by Terry Welch, pensacola (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Third Thursday of each month, 6:00 pm onward
* Gill's Tavern, 2545 North Monroe Street
* Hosted by Sharon Collins, tallahassee (at) drinkingliberally.org
South Tampa UPDATED
* Every Wednesday, 7:00 pm onward (used to only be first Thursday)
* Rock-N-Sports, 1600 E 8th Ave, #E200 (Above Starbucks, Across from Muvico, Next to Adobe Guilas)
* Hosted by Tim Heberlein, southtampa (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Last Thursday of each month, 8:30 pm onward
* Limey's Pub, 1492 4th St N
* Hosted by Connor Davis and Dave Lee, stpetersburg (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Thursday, 7:00 pm onward
* Giordano's, 11310 Causeway Blvd, Brandon FL 33511 (Outside patio) (NEW location)
* Hosted by Joe Litton and Shirley Litton, brandon (at) drinkingliberally.org
Land O Lakes
* Second Tuesday of each month, 7:00-9:00 pm
* Rapscallions, 4422 Land O Lakes Blvd (US-41)
* Hosted by Brian Reach and Michael Greenman, landolakes (at) drinkingliberally.orgF