IOWA FOCUS: Blogs, Alternative Energy, Sustainable Agriculture, Groups and Events
Bleeding Heartland is a community blog for Democrats and progressives in the state of Iowa. I find this a very good source of Iowa news.
Blog for Iowa is a progressive source of information in Iowa.
Progressive Populist: The Independent Journal from the Heartland
LeftyBlogs Iowa is the place to find out what's happening in the progressive blogosphere across Iowa.
Some Stories of Interest:
Conservative Pundits Fear Return of Fairness Doctrine
Study measures health costs of ethanol
The Audacity of A Pro-Labor Secretary of Labor
Health Care Reform Action Alert: Pre-emptive Action to Stop Tennessee Governor Phil Bredesen for Secretary of Health and Human Services...and on the same subject but on a more positive note: Dean For Daschle: Ask Your Congressman To Support Howard Dean for Health and Human Services Secretary
Tale of Two Crooks: Coleman and Blagojevich
President Obama’s Rural Policy
Obstructionist Republican Latham Targeted
Right Wing Media and the Politics of Vitriol
Iowa moves up to second in installed wind capacity. I have thought this was going to happen for some time. Farmers and wind power go together well!
Iowa Looks at Coal Ash Regulations
Iowa Voting Machines "Totally Nuts." I have no clue why Diebold is even considered a viable vendor anymore. Their machines don't work. Many counties, after wasting huge amounts of money on Diebold machines, have had to abandon them. It even seems like Diebold committed outright, deliberate election fraud in Georgia in 2002. Seems to me no one county should waste money on lousy technology made by a shady, probably criminal company. On a related topic: More evidence that we need verified voting
Alternative Energy and Sustainable Agriculture:
The Leopold Center is a research and education center with statewide programs to develop sustainable agricultural practices that are both profitable and conserve natural resources. It was established under the Groundwater Protection Act of 1987 with a three-fold mission:
*to conduct research into the negative impacts of agricultural practices;
*to assist in developing alternative practices; and
*to work with ISU Extension to inform the public of Leopold Center findings.
In 2002, a vision statement was adopted: The Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture explores and cultivates alternatives that secure healthier people and landscapes in Iowa and the nation.
Sustainable Farming Connection: Where farmers find and share information
Soil and Water Conservation Society (SWCS) is a nonprofit scientific and educational organization -- founded in 1943 -- that serves as an advocate for conservation professionals and for science-based conservation practice, programs, and policy. SWCS has over 5,000 members around the world. They include researchers, administrators, planners, policymakers, technical advisors, teachers, students, farmers, and ranchers. Our members come from nearly every academic discipline and many different public, private, and nonprofit institutions
Weekly Anti-War Vigil at Nollen Plaza
11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
Nollen Plaza, 3rd and Locust Des Moines, IA
Contact: Wendy Vasquez
Please join us for this weekly witness against the war.
For more information, contact Wendy Vasquez at 515-771-8656.
Women for Peace Knitters
Supporting the peaceful arts of knitting and crocheting. This group meets monthly on the 2nd Tuesday, 9:30-11:30 am at Prairiewoods, 120 E Boyson Rd, Hiawatha. (Group also meets fourth Tuesdays each month at Marion Public Library, 7-8:30 pm., Marion.) For more information call 377-3252.
Cedar Rapids Peace Vigil
Women for Peace, Iowa, meet each Saturday at noon at the corner of 1st Avenue and Collins Road.
And for those who are focused on combining fun and politics, here are the local Drinking Liberally groups in Iowa:
* Every Friday, 5:00 pm onward
* Legends American Grill, 200 Stanton Ave, 7th Floor (in Campustown)
* The group will meet in the large accessible party room left of the elevators unless it is booked by a larger group. We will then be in the Sky Box. Ask a waiter for our location.
* Hosted by Jan Bauer and Brent Wynja, ames (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Thursday, 8:00 p.m. onward
* The Lift, 222 4th St (between Court Ave and Walnut)
* Hosted by Amanda Mittlestadt, Tricia Kell, Cassie Samspon and Matt Jesson, desmoines (at) drinkingliberally.org
West Des Moines
* Third Friday of each month, 5:00-7:00 pm
* Tonic, 5535 George M Mills Civic Pky (within West Glen Towncenter)
* Hosted by Cassie Sampson, Mikael Brown and Jenny Irlmeier, wdsm (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Second Monday of each month, 6:00-7:30 pm
* Continental Wine Bar, 428 E Locust St
* Hosted by Marcus Walsh and Tricia Kell, desmoines (at) eatingliberally.org
Iowa City, Iowa
* Every Thursday, 8:00 pm onward
* The Mill Restaurant, 120 E Burlington StBlg