.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mole's Progressive Democrat

The Progressive Democrat Newsletter grew out of the frustration of the 2004 election. Originally intended for New York City progressives, its readership is now national. For anyone who wants to be alerted by email whenever this newsletter is updated (usually weekly), please send your email address and let me know what state you live in (so I can keep track of my readership).

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I am a research biologist in NYC. Married with two kids living in Brooklyn.

Google
  • Help end world hunger
  • Saturday, March 01, 2008

    Progressive Democrat Issue 156

    The year is such a big one for politics. I am amazed how many people are extra involved. One friend describes it as "Democrat fever," and is finding that people are eagerly digging deeper than usual to win. And there are already payoffs.

    One of the most important things to happen this last week was Kofi Annan has finally gotten the battling factions in Kenya to sign a peace agreement. I was watching a segment on Current TV about the situation in Kenya and it was really worrisome. Some thought it could turn into another Rwanda, though others felt Kenya would pull itself together before it sank that low. But the truth is, one of Africa's more stable nations nearly collapsed into a bloody civil war. Kofi Annan has for now eased the crisis and could deserve a Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts. The chaos in Kenya had a personal connection for me because some of my loans through Kiva were in the areas of Kenya where the fighting was taking place. As I write here, the situation there was really bad and many of the businesses I loaned to in Kenya may no longer exist.

    As I mention in my New York State section, but you can read more detail about here, there was a HUGE win for Democrats in upstate New York. The New York State Senate has been under Republican control almost forever, and this has one one factor that has kept the state government from functioning even vaguely well. This last week New York Democrats won a special election for State Senate in a district that has not seen a Democrat elected for 100 years. Seriously. And the district is 2:1 registered Republicans to Democrats. But voters responded well to the Democrat running, Darrel Aubertine, is a local farmer with calloused hands from real work, while the Republican candidate was a lawyer and Assemblyman with no real contact with the average voter in the district...other than preventing them from fishing in the part of a local river that runs through his estate. It's easy to see why Darrel won. This puts Democrats one seat away from an effective control of the New York State Senate. Jimmy Dahroug and Jim Gennaro are two of our likely candidates who can pick up seats in the State Senate, and I have them covered on an Act Blue site for those who want to help.

    I have an Illinois focus section covering another special election coming up fast. And this is one we all should be focused on because it is our chance to turn Dennis Hastert's seat blue. Hastert has resigned in disgrace, and it is now an open seat with a special election. The Democratic candidate is Bill Foster, a famous physicist. Right now I know of only one scientits in Congress, Rush Holt. I really think that getting another scientist in Congress is worth even more than turning Hastert's seat blue. I hope people from all over the country read my Illinois focus and help Bill Foster win.

    Turning to Alaska, I once again am covering Republican Corruption in Alaska. Alaska continues to amaze me with the depth of the corruption of the Republican Party there. But we have a chance to replace those corrupt Republicans with good Democrats. One candidate you will hear me talking about soon is Diane Benson. I recently met her and let me tell you, we need to do all we can to send her to Congress. She is half Native American, has been homeless for part of her life, has worked as a truck driver and commercial fisherman, and has a son who lost both his legs serving in Iraq. She is amazing. She is also outraising the Republican incumbent. She does have two primary challengers, though, career politicians...and lawyers. Now don't get me wrong. I have nothing against lawyers and I do think having a majority of our politicians be lawyers isn't necessarily bad. But I also think that we need some regular folks in there. Farmers like Aubertine. Scientists like Foster. And working class teamsters and fishermen like Benson. You will hear more about Benson here in the near future, and for those in NYC you will have a chance to meet her if you want. She is coming March 18th. If you want to meet her email me and I will give you details. It will be a fundraiser, but really it will be worth it for you. People can also donate to help turn Alaska blue through another one of my Act Blue sites.

    I also continue to feature some fabulous, progressive local candidates in Arizona and Wisconsin who deserve our support. I urge everyone who has a moment to look them over and donate if they can. And for readers in Arizona and Wisconsin, maybe you can find an hour or two to volunteer for them. These are the future of the Democratic Party if we help them get elected. Interstingly, Arizona has actually passed New York as the state where I have the most readers. Welcome Arizona readers! I am excited about what is going on locally in Arizona.

    Here is this week's newsletter:

    TABLE OF CONTENTS:

    ARE YOU BETTER OFF THAN YOU WERE 8 YEARS AGO

    RALPH McNADER: The Nader/McCain Alliance

    MORE REPUBLICAN CORRUPTION IN ALASKA: Don Young, possibly the MOST Corrupt Republican still in office

    ILLINOIS FOCUS: Urgent Special Election: Turn Hastert's Seat Blue!

    ILLINOIS FOCUS: Groups and Events

    NEW YORK STATE FOCUS: Steve Harrison, Peace Vigils, Groups and Events

    ARIZONA FOCUS: Republican Corruption, Progressive Candidates, Groups and Events

    CALIFORNIA FOCUS: Peace Events, Groups and Events

    VIRGINIA FOCUS: Energy Efficiency, Impeachment, Groups and Events

    ALASKA FOCUS: Fisheries Debate, Groups and Events

    NEW JERSEY FOCUS: Family Medical Leave, Jersey Blue Radio, Impeachment, Groups and Events

    TEXAS FOCUS: Rick Noriega, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events

    FLORIDA FOCUS: Peace Vigils, Groups and Events

    PENNSYLVANIA FOCUS: Groups and Events

    WISCONSIN FOCUS: Republican Lies, Progressive Candidates, Groups and Events

    IOWA FOCUS: Fighting Big Business, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events

    NORTH CAROLINA FOCUS: Drought, Peace Vigils, Groups and Events

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home