.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mole's Progressive Democrat

The Progressive Democrat Newsletter grew out of the frustration of the 2004 election. Originally intended for New York City progressives, its readership is now national. For anyone who wants to be alerted by email whenever this newsletter is updated (usually weekly), please send your email address and let me know what state you live in (so I can keep track of my readership).

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I am a research biologist in NYC. Married with two kids living in Brooklyn.

Google
  • Help end world hunger
  • Saturday, October 13, 2007

    $10.11 for MoveOn.org

    This is coming to you just a tad too late, but perhaps it will still strike you as relavent. I believe it is! So please read and make the small contribution. Come 2008 I suspect you will be proud you did. This was originally written on 10/11/2007:

    One month ago when Rudy Giuliani's campaign tried, as one blogger put it, humping the corpse by using 9/11 as a theme for a fundraiser for Rudy Giuliani. The idea was to get people to donate $9.11 for Rudy, playing off the 9/11 myth that surrounds Rudy.

    Needless to say, many of those who lived through 9/11, particularly those who lost people on that day, were disgusted by the idea.

    Let's get one thing straight, and you can take it from someone who saw Rudy in action on 9/11: this whole Rudy 9/11 mystique is a myth. For coverage of that (from another New Yorker) go here and here.

    Here's my idea. They, in essence, were desecrating the memories of the victims of 9/11 by turning our tragedy into a fundraising opportunity. That last month. My first reaction was to donate $9.11 to MoveOn.org in protest. Then I decided that was being as disgusting as them.

    So I propose, on 10/11, to donate $10.11 to MoveOn.org. I will do it. I invite you to join me to show Rudy Guiliani and his supporters that 9/11 is NOT something you demean by using it to raise money for the man who the real 9/11 heros detest. Note: this is my idea, not MoveOn.org's. But I think it is an appropriate gesture given recent politics. For those who are felling ill disposed towards MoveOn.org for whatever reason, perhaps you want to donate $10.11 in honor of Rudy to Progressive Majority or to Democracy for America or to any other progressive group (here's a good list I compiled).

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home