Progressive Democrat Issue 100: CALIFORNIA GROUPS AND EVENTS
California for Democracy: This is the California branch of Howard Dean's Democracy for America movement. There are local meetings all over the state (listed on the left hand side of the state website). I participate in my local group and this is one of the ways I get to meet lots of interesting politicians, all of whom are trying to get our support. If you only do one kind of political activism, it should be this! If you join, tell them I sent you...it can't hurt for them to know I'm helping them out! There are also events listed as well as blogs for discussion. This is the ultimate in progressive grassroots! If there isn't a group near you, start one by emailing: steering (at) californiafordemocracy.com
California Democratic Party: To find your local Democratic Party organization, GO HERE. For a Calendar of events GO HERE. To get active in the California Democratic Party by volunteering GO HERE.
DRINKING LIBERALLY: An informal, inclusive progressive social group. Raise your spirits while you raise your glass, and share ideas while you share a pitcher. Drinking Liberally gives like-minded, left-leaning individuals a place to talk politics. You don't need to be a policy expert and this isn't a book club - just come and learn from peers, trade jokes, vent frustration and hang out in an environment where it's not taboo to talk politics. This is one of the more fun ways to be involved as a liberal. There are MANY groups in California. If there isn't one in your area, get a few friends together and START ONE! Don't drink alcohol? Then start one in a coffee house, tea lounge or juice bar! The format is flexible. Here's a list of them as of Dec. 2006.
* Second Wednesday of each month 7:00-11:00 PM
* Molly Malone's Irish Pub, 575 South Fairfax Avenue, Los Angeles 90036 (near corner of 6th avenue)
* Hosted by Vincent Jones, Cecilia Cabello, Christine Frogozo, Jim Kennedy and Joe Zefran, la (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Tuesday, 7:30-10:00 pm
* Madeleine's Wine Bistro, 1030 E Green St (between Wilson and Catalina)
* We try to meet on the patio when no other event is scheduled there. Otherwise, look for us in the wine bar.
* Hosted by Asa Hopkins, pasadena (at) drinkingliberally.org
* First Thursday of each month 7:00 pm onward
* Peter B's Brewery, 2 Portola Plz
* Hosted by Annie Ho and Helen Davis, monterey (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Thursday, 8:30 pm onward
* Memphis Bar, 201 N Broadway, Santa Ana (Artists Village)
* Hosted by Mike Lawson, orangecounty (at) drinkingliberally.org
* First Thursday of each month 7:00 pm onward
* Streets of London Pub, 1804 J St (Midtown)
* Hosted by Leslie Simmons, sacramento (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every other Tuesday 7:30 pm onward
* Nunu's Cocktail Lounge, 3537 5th Ave (Between Brookes and Ivy Ln)
* Hosted by Jesse Rubin and Jason Miller, sandiego (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Monday, 7:00-9:00 pm
* Doc's Clock, 2575 Mission St (between 21st and 22nd) (Look for our red, white and blue striped bottle!)
* Hosted by Susan Harrison, sf (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Second and fourth Wednesday of each month 6:00 - 8:00 PM
* Luka's Taproom & Lounge, 2221 Broadway
* Hosted by Cyril Allen and Philip Combs, oakland (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Second Thursday of each month 7:00 pm onward
* Antonio's Nut House, 321 S California Ave (At the corner of Birch and California)
* Hosted by Tom Allen, Leilani Iwaishi and Esther Hardwick, paloalto (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every other Thursday 6:30 pm onward
* Trials Pub, 265 N 1st St
* We're usually in the wingbacks by the front door. The bartenders know who we are.
* Hosted by Andy Oliveria and Adam Gulkis, sanjose (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Every Wednesday, 8 pm - 10 pm
* Elsie's Bar, 117 W de la Guerra St (behind Paseo Nuveo Mall)
* Elsie's is 21+ and cash only
* Hosted by Daryl Chrisman and Bart Woolery, santabarbara (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Third Friday of each month 7:00 pm onward
* Micheal's New York Pizza, 2300 W Alpine Ave #A
* Hosted by Teresa Frison, stockton (at) drinkingliberally.org
SOME REGIONAL ORGANIZATIONS: These are more specific to particular reagions
LOS ANGELES AREA:
Progressive Los Angeles Network (PLAN): The Progressive Los Angeles Network (PLAN) was formally launched in December 1999. PLAN was founded and built on the success of the 1998 Progressive L.A. Conference which was co-sponsored by a number of local and national institutions and organizations including Occidental College, The Nation Institute, Liberty Hill Foundation, LA Weekly and the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor. The Progressive LA Conference was an overwhelming success and gave participants a sense that the growth of a wide variety of progressive social movements had reached an important threshold. As a result, attendees and others within the progressive movement in Los Angeles expressed a desire to participate in further discussion about how to develop a common agenda that is community based, inclusive and brings together the wealth of experience and knowledge of organizers, activists, and researchers. To get involved, GO HERE.
ORANGE COUNTY AREA:
Orange County Peace Coalition: An organization that advocates the peaceful resolution of international conflicts and that this ideal become a cornerstone of U.S. foreign policy. To see a calendar of events, CLICK HERE. To get involved, CLICK HERE.
Grassrootswest was founded in 2004 as a way to unite Northbay Democrats, Greens, Independents, and even Republicans in getting George Bush out of office. After the stolen election of 2004 it became clear that there still was a need to bridge the divide between the various progressive organizations in the San Francisco North Bay. So their work of bypassing the corporate media, and building alliances of progressives continues to this day. Check them out.
Click here to go back to THOUGHTS section and Table of Contents for this issue.