NEW YORK STATE FOCUS: Blogs, Alternative Energy, Groups and Events
Republicans hate our 9/11 heroes
Undocumented and Unlicensed: What Inaction on Immigration Reform Has Brought Us...more here: DREAM Act Distortions
The Bottom Line: Republicans voted to raise everyone's taxes...let's not forget that the biggest tax increases in history were under Reagan and Bush. Not Democrats.
This is good news: NY-1: Last House Race called for the Democratic Congressman...Tim Bishop strikes me as a good guy, so I am glad he won.
NY-19: Republican Nan Hayworth lied...backs earmark-crazed colleague for Appropriations Chair
The Depths of Albany Corruption: State Senator, newly elected Putnam County exec, felon
Rep. Eliot Engel disputes NRC's findings on Indian Point
NY State Judge testifies foreclosure problems are 'pervasive'
New York City’s New Schools Chancellor...seems like Bloomberg made a REALLY stupid choice here and it shows he puts cronyism over actual effective government.
Items from Around the Web 12/10/10
Statewide news roundup
Rockland news roundup
Oil Spill at Indian Point Contaminates Hudson River...Do we need yet MORE evidence that we have GOT to make our economy greener? Green energy is cleaner, SAFER, and creates jobs here in America.
NEW YORK BLOGGING:
Drum Major Institute: Politics, Policy and the American Dream
The Albany Project gives excellent coverage of New York State politics.
Reform NY is the blog of the Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law
CNY Latino: the ONLY Hispanic oriented newspaper in the Central New York area. CNY Latino is a monthly periodical dedicated to the Hispanic population, but prepared to be read by any culture, since it is written in both "English and Spanish".
The Herkimer County Progressive: Political Opinion and Commentary from Herkimer County's Premier Progressive Blog
The Daily Gotham covers both New York City and New York State politics.
Rochester Turning: a people-powered, progressive blogging community in the Rochester, NY area. We believe in clean air, water, politics, money, business, energy, and human rights. Our goal is to promote progressive candidates and movements in the Greater Rochester region.
No Land Grab: News from the point of view of Brooklyn opposition to overdevelopment
True News from ChangeNYC.Org: ChangeNYC.Org is an organization unifying our City’s Democratic Party by welcoming all New Yorkers back into the political process. We are a coalition of real, everyday New Yorkers – young voters, progressives, neighborhood leaders, community bloggers, good government groups, and even conservatives – who believe that in cooperation we can bring the change to our City that together we have begun to bring to our nation.
Alternative Energy in NY State:
Here are some stats from Repower America:
* A $2 billion investment by Spanish energy company, Iberdrola, will double New York's 1,000-megawatt wind capacity to 2,000-megawatts - providing enough electricity for nearly 600,000 homes.
* New York's energy efficiency programs save enough electricity to power almost 115,000 homes for a whole year, save almost $140 million in energy costs, and prevent the greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to taking over 60,000 cars off the road. Although great progress, the state still has much more potential to increase its energy efficiency.
* The state has a renewable portfolio standard (RPS) that requires all public utilities to generate 24% of their electricity from renewable energy resources by 2013.
What you can do for Clean Energy:
For pennies per month more than you currently pay for energy you can buy 100% green energy from Con-Ed. Joy and I have been doing it for years, seriously reducing our carbon footprint and giving NY State cleaner air. Here's how it works:
Clean Energy for Residential & Small Business Customers ConEdison Solutions is leading the way in promoting pollution-free electricity by offering WIND and GREEN Power - clean, 100% renewable power. Instead of drawing on traditional power sources, such as nuclear power and fossil fuel sources, GREEN Power is generated from regional wind and low-impact hydropower sources. GREEN Power is composed of 65% run-of-the-river hydro and 35% wind power. See content label WIND Power is composed of electricity exclusively generated from 100% wind power. The benefit of clean energy is that it produces none of the detrimental environmental effects associated with electricity production that results in air emissions.
ConEdison Solutions is committed to making a difference in the environment and together we have the opportunity to help make a powerful impact. The cost for renewable energy has fallen dramatically in recent years and is only a fraction higher than electricity generated from traditional power sources. ConEdison Solutions' GREEN Power costs only an additional one cent per kilowatt-hour (kWh) more than our standard offer and WIND Power is an additional 2.5 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh) more than our standard offer. Upgrading to renewable energy makes a difference and is a very affordable way to show that you care about the future of our environment.
To sign up GO HERE. Or call: 1-888-320-8991. You won't regret switching.
For those who want to combine fun with political action here's DRINKING LIBERALLY MEETINGS IN NY STATE:
Clifton Park, New York
* First Wednesday of each month, 7:00 pm onward
* Old Dublin Inn, 130 Meyer Rd (Google maps is wrong, please contact me for directions.)
* Hosted by Chris Selkirk, cliftonpark (at) drinkingliberally.org
Ithaca, New York
* Every Wednesday, 6:30 pm onward
* Felicia's Atomic Lounge, 508 W State St
* Hosted by Joseph Cannon Murtagh, ithaca (at) drinkingliberally.org
New York City, New York:
The Original Drinking Liberally
* Every Thursday, 7:30 pm onward
* Rudy's, 627 9th Ave (between 44th and 45th)
* In the backyard, weather permitting
* Hosted by Justin Krebs, Matthew O'Neill and Katrina Baker, nyc (at) drinkingliberally.org
Drinking Liberally Steps Out
* Third Tuesday of each month, 7:00-9:00 pm
* XES Lounge, 157 W 24th St (@ 7th Avenue)
* In conjunction with the Stonewall Democrats of New York City www.sdnyc.org.
* Hosted by Matthew Carlin and Greg Rae, outnyc (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Second Wednesday of each month), 6:30 pm onward
* Soundz Lounge, 3155 Broadway (between 123rd and 124th)
* Hosted by Yolanda (Shoshi) Shoshana, harlem (at) drinkingliberally.org
* Second Wednesday of each month, 7:30-10:00 pm
* Commonwealth, 497 5th Ave (at 12th Street)
* Hosted by Anthony Accurso, Emilie Harkin and Emily Farris, parkslope (at) drinkingliberally.org
Central Brooklyn Eating Liberally
* Second Tuesday of each month, 7:00-9:00 pm
* Various locations, email host for info
* Hosted by David Michaelson, firstname.lastname@example.org
* Fourth Wednesday of each month, 7:30 pm onward
* Bohemian Hall and Beer Garden, 29-19 24th Avenue, Astoria, NY 11102 (group of young liberals taking up one lane)
* Hosted by Donald Graff, queens (at) drinkingliberally.org
Upper East Side
* Last Tuesday of each month, 7:30 pm onward
* Doc Watson's, 1490 2nd Ave (at 77th)
* Hosted by Matthew Bachiochi, ues (at) drinkingliberally.org
* First and third Friday of each month, 7:30 pm onward
* An Beal Bocht, 445 W 238th St (between Waldo and Greystone)
* 1 to 238th, turn left, straight on 238th, just past the top of the stairs
* Hosted by Jamin Sewell and Scott Kennedy, westbronx (at) drinkingliberally.org
Rochester, New York
* Every Thursday, 8:00-10:00 pm
* Monty's Korner, 355 East Ave
* Hosted by Tom Tucker and Tracy Logan, rochester (at) drinkingliberally.org
And then we have: Shooting Liberally
From your friends at Drinking Liberally comes the SHOOTING LIBERALLY...
For the First Amendment enthusiast ready to move on to the Second. A social evening at the gun range including training & weapon rental.
For more info and to reserve your spot, contact: Stanley Sherman - maskarts (at) worldnet.att.net
DEMOCRACY FOR AMERICA MEETINGS IN NY STATE:
Democracy For The Southern Adirondack/Tricounty Area. You can also check out their website here.
Democracy For The Greater Glens Falls Area
dfaROCHESTER. And you can check out their website here.
Democracy for the Hudson-Mohawk Region. And you can join their Yahoo group here.
Capital District of NY/GenDFA
Democracy for the Hudson Valley
Mid-Hudson Progressive Alliance
Democracy For Westchester
Democracy for Long Island. You can also join their Yahoo group here.
North Country Democracy for America
Central New York DFA
Eastern Long Island Democracy for America
Democracy For Saratoga Springs
Kingston Democracy for America
Democracy for Otsego and Delaware Counties
Philipstown for Democracy
DFA: Greene County
Livingston County for Democracy
DEMOCRACY FOR NYC MEETINGS:
First Wednesday of every month.
Upper West Side - 7:00 pm, The Parlour (back room) - 250 West 86th Street (btwn B'way and West End Ave.), with hosts Bernadette Evangelist and Sally Swisher.
West Village - 7:00pm, Kettle of Fish, 59 Christopher St. (near 7th Ave.) with host Tracey Keij-Denton.
Astoria, Queens - 7:30pm, - Ommonia Cafe 32-20 Broadway, with host Jeremiah Frei-Pearson and Costa Constantinides.
Sunnyside, Queens - 7:30 pm, Bliss Street Station restaurant, 47-02 Greenpoint Ave., with host Dan Jacoby.
Bayside, Queens - 7:00 pm, The First Edition, 41-08 Bell Blvd, right near the LIRR stop, with host Steve Behar of Democrats for New Politics.
Here are a handful of Organizations worth checking out:
The Environmental Business Association is the not-for-profit trade association dedicated to supporting the growth of the environmental industry in New York State. Specifically, we help to promote and serve serving the industry sectors of Climate Change, Greening Communities, Energy and WALCE (Water-Agriculture-Land Use-Conservation-Environmental). News here. Events list here (not recently updated).
NY Citizens for Clean Elections: We are committed to passage of Clean Money Clean Election legislation in NYS that provides a non-partisan approach for full public funding of campaigns for all qualified candidates who refuse private money and abide by spending limits. We want to ensure that all Americans, regardless of wealth, have an equal voice in the political system and that qualified candidates are not discouraged from running because they do not have access to the money needed for a competitive campaign.
The Central Brooklyn Independent Democrats is a community-based Democratic club. CBID has fought for reform and progressive causes since 1968. As a Brooklyn-based Club, we have been instrumental in the election of many candidates for public office. Much of this success was a result of our question-and-answer forums with prospective candidates as well as our extensive on-the-street contact with our constituents.
Staunchly opposed to political corruption, we are proud of our independence and our commitment to progressive reform in city, state and national politics. We are a vehicle for citizen empowerment and making government more accountable to our neighborhoods.
We meet monthly, usually the fourth Thursday evening of the month in the basement of the Park Slope United Methodist Church, on the corner of 6th ave and 8th street, at 7:30pm. All are welcome.
New Kings Democrats (”NKD”) is a new, grassroots organization in Kings County (Brooklyn), New York whose primary mission is to recruit and prepare individuals to run for Kings County Democratic Committee. NKD hopes to achieve the goal of an inclusionary and participatory democracy by making it easy for individuals to run for local, elected office. NKD will serve as a training ground for individuals seeking higher office, and hopes to build and nurture a new group of Brooklyn Democratic leaders.
Stonewall Democrats of Western New York is the GLBT Democratic voice in WNY. Our mission is to advocate for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) community within the Democratic Party and to encourage GLBT participation within the Democratic Party. Our membership includes representatives from State, County, and City government, and several Democratic committee members amongst the various County Committees in WNY.
BACK TO PROGRESSIVE DEMOCRAT NEWSLETTER MAIN PAGE