Detroit, MI Focus
Offshore Wind Bill Likely to be Put Off 'Till The Latest Batch of Rookies Enter the House...Why do some of the BEST job creating, green energy, pollution busting ideas get shoved aside by the conservatives? THIS SHOULD BE TOP PRIORITY because it CREATES JOBS, reduces pollution and helps the environment...RELATED: Hey You! Can Ya Spare a Sec to Help Wind Power Legislation?...more: Will Michigan Gain the Renewable Energy Jobs That Other Midwestern States Leave Behind?
Detroit Metro Area Rated 7th in US in Economic Growth From 2009 to 2010...hmmm, think that Democratic Bailout of the Auto Industry might be a part of this?
...Obama on the Domestic Automotive Industry...more here: Auto Industry Bailout Saved 1.4 Million Jobs (Remember, Republicans OPPOSED this!)
I think this is a good opportunity to remind my readers that Democrats are ALWAYS better at creating jobs than Republicans:
This is a fact I will keep hammering at because for most Americans it is the ultimate bottom line.
PROGRESSIVE TALK RADIO DETROIT:
AM1310 WDTW Detroit
Check out their program schedule here.
Check out their calendar of local Detroit events here.
Motor City Liberal: "I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell." --Harry S. Truman
Democracy for Metro Detroit: a progressive grassroots political action organization that seeks to elect socially and fiscally responsible candidates to state and local office in Michigan. We are affiliated with Democracy for America, the political action committee led by former Vermont Governor Howard Dean.
From the ballot box to the classroom, the dedicated workers, organizers, and leaders who forged this great organization and maintain its status as a champion of social justice, fought long and hard to ensure that the voices of African Americans and other minorities would be heard.
For one hundred years, it has been the talent and tenacity of NAACP members that has saved lives and changed many negative aspects of American society.
The mission of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination.
Here are some local branches of the NAACP:
Wayne State University
5221 GULLEN MALL RM 50 MAILBOX #23
Detroit, MI 48202
Detroit Central Branch
Detroit, MI 48202
Detroit Youth Council
Detroit, MI 48224
DISPLAY YOUR DEMOCRATIC PRIDE:
There is no better way to show your Democratic Pride than to wear Michigan Democratic Party logo.
Buy Democratic party buttons, shirts, etc. here.
DEMOCRACY FOR METRO DETROIT:
The local affiliate of Howard Dean's Democracy for America. The Progressive Grassroots at its best.
We are committed to...
* STRONG, SUSTAINED, ACTIVE GRASSROOTS INVOLVEMENT in the democratic process.
* Promoting AN AMERICA WHERE CANDIDATES AND OFFICE HOLDERS TELL THE TRUTH about policy choices and stand up for what they believe.
* FIGHTING AGAINST THE INFLUENCE AND AGENDA OF THE TWO PILLARS OF GEORGE W. BUSH'S WASHINGTON: the far-right wing and their radical, divisive policies, and the selfish special interests who dominate politics.
* FIGHTING FOR PROGRESSIVE POLICIES, like health care for all; investment in children; equal rights under the law; fiscal responsibility; environmental protection; and a national security policy that makes America stronger by advancing progressive values.
How We're Getting There: We are...
* Recruiting and encouraging progressive candidates to run for office at every level. We will help them find the resources to campaign successfully with small donations from grassroots supporters, to begin to break the stranglehold special interests have on the political process.
* Raising funds for Congressional candidates for whom financial support could be the key to winning, and whose election will be key to winning back a House of Representatives that has become the tool of the right wing.
* Developing strategic partnerships with other progressive organizations to maximize resources for candidate recruitment, training, and organization.
* Building relationships with other political initiatives to focus on changing the failed, destructive policies of the Bush Administration.
Please join us in making a difference in the upcoming elections in the Metro Detroit area. Call us at (248) 582-3178 or E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find how you can help us take our city and state back.
To Join click here.
Democracy for Metro Detroit Book Club
Books are selected from a range of genres including, but not limited to: political thought, sociology, history, and linguistics. Typically we read works to promote a progressive, liberal agenda. Occasionally, we will select works that are in direct contrast to a progressive, liberal agenda in order to better understand other world views and challenge some of our own assumptions.
Check out their reading list here.
Join the Book Club here.
Local Food Co-op in Detroit: Where I live in Brooklyn, the Park Slope Food Co-op is not only one of the most successful Co-ops in America, but is one of the most successful BUSINESSES in America. It also has one of the most diverse customer bases. I recommend looking into your local food co-op:
Cass Corridor Food Co-op
456 Charlotte Street
Detroit, Michigan 48201
Phone: (313) 831-7452
FAX: (313) 832-4776
BACK TO PROGRESSIVE DEMOCRAT NEWSLETTER MAIN PAGE