.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mole's Progressive Democrat

The Progressive Democrat Newsletter grew out of the frustration of the 2004 election. Originally intended for New York City progressives, its readership is now national. For anyone who wants to be alerted by email whenever this newsletter is updated (usually weekly), please send your email address and let me know what state you live in (so I can keep track of my readership).

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I am a research biologist in NYC. Married with two kids living in Brooklyn.

Google
  • Help end world hunger
  • Friday, May 14, 2010

    Brooklyn Focus: Challenging Marty Golden (State Senate)

    For years the corrupt Brooklyn political machine has protected Republican Marty Golden from serious challenge. It has been, in fact, one of my ongoing criticisms of Brooklyn Democratic Party leader Vito Lopez: he fails in his job of leading the Democratic Party in challenges against Republicans. Well this year Lopez's active discouragement of Democrats challenging Republicans has failed and Democrat Mike DiSanto has announced he is challenging Republican Marty Golden for the 22nd State Senate Seat in Brooklyn.

    Here is Mike DiSanto's statement annoucing his candidacy:

    Although you may have already heard, I want to personally announce my candidacy to you for New York State Senator, representing the 22nd District.

    For those of you who know me well, you know that a political career has never been a dream or aspiration of mine. So I did not make the decision to run for the Senate lightly.

    I have spent my entire life in South Brooklyn. I attended PS 97 elementary school, Mark Twain Junior High School, and Midwood High School. After graduating from Baruch College and working in the marketing industry for various companies including Coca-Cola, I returned to school last year to study at New York University. I'm the product of a loving working class family, a public education, and a supportive community. The people of South Brooklyn have given me so much. And it's time for me to give back.

    I know the current recession has had devastating effects on everyone. But I see my community - my family - under increasingly more pressure every day. Over the past few years, I've watched vibrant neighborhoods deteriorate and small businesses close.

    I've sat with friends who have lost their jobs. I've waited 20 minutes for a train, and I've walked over two miles to catch a bus. I've paid higher taxes, but continue to feel the effects of "budget cuts." I've listened to parents scared for their children's education, and worse, I've talked with parents scared for their children's safety. I've had enough. We deserve more.

    The government must offer protection for more than the chosen few. Benefits and breaks are not just for the wealthy and the well-connected. We have to take care of those who have taken care of us, which is why I plan to make our seniors and veterans top priorities.

    The possibilities are there, but our voices have not been heard. I have new energy and new ideas, but most importantly, I have integrity. I won't be bought, sold or borrowed, and I won't be afraid to go against the grain. My sole allegiance is to you - my friends, my family, and my neighbors - and that is something I will never lose sight of. I know where I came from, and I'm proud of it. Now it's my turn to give back.

    This campaign is about improving our lives and creating security for our children and our parents. I know the road ahead will not be easy, but I couldn't be more optimistic.I look forward to speaking with you in the coming days to talk about these crucial issues and how you may be able to help our campaign.

    I'm excited for this opportunity, and I want to thank each of you for your support.

    Best,

    Mike DiSanto


    DiSanto has some choice words about the decline of South Brooklyn when he spoke to the American Heritage Democratic Club in Bay Ridge:

    "Since the 1980s I have seen the gradual decline of our neighborhoods, when they should have been consistently improving,” said DiSanto. “I was able to get a decent public school education and we had art and afterschool programs. Today teachers do not even get paper for their students. The children need to be the top priority. Education is more important now than it has ever been due to the new dynamic global economy.”

    DiSanto also stressed the need for communities to get necessary funding for infrastructure improvements and residents need tax breaks to make repairs on their aging homes in this economy, saying “I believe this will increase home values and create jobs.”

    DiSanto blasted developers for knocking down houses and putting up poorly built condos. He said that those developers were destroying residential neighborhoods and the ambience that used to go along with living in south Brooklyn. He called for better programs for first time home buyers and guidelines for development that does not jeopardize the uniqueness of our neighborhoods.

    “Kids I grew up with, who want to buy houses here to raise their families cannot afford to let this happen, said DiSanto. “This is destroying our residential neighborhoods.”

    He also touted green initiatives to beautify neighborhoods, improve air quality and bring “green jobs” to Brooklyn. The borough has the second least amount of park space per person of all the five boroughs and therefore should be at the top of the list when it comes to funding for green initiatives.

    DiSanto also stressed the need for more community events across all of the neighborhoods in his district including concerts and festivals to restore the sense of community allowing residents and their families increased opportunities for recreation and socialization. He stated that these events will also benefit small business owners who have suffered through the economic slowdown.

    DiSanto slammed the MTA and leadership for cutting transportation services in Brooklyn while building two new subway lines in Manhattan.

    “It is obvious where the loyalty lies,” said DiSanto. “We are not second class citizens because we do not live in Manhattan...”

    DiSanto is running for the State Senate seat currently held by Republican Marty Golden, which include parts of Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Bath Beach, Gravesend, Sheepshead Bay and Marine Park.


    Visit Mike DiSanto's website and help him defeat obstructionist Republican Marty Golden. Mike DiSanto will bring much needed new blood to the State Senate and electing him would be a major step in ending Albany dysfunction.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home