.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mole's Progressive Democrat

The Progressive Democrat Newsletter grew out of the frustration of the 2004 election. Originally intended for New York City progressives, its readership is now national. For anyone who wants to be alerted by email whenever this newsletter is updated (usually weekly), please send your email address and let me know what state you live in (so I can keep track of my readership).

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I am a research biologist in NYC. Married with two kids living in Brooklyn.

Google
  • Help end world hunger
  • Thursday, February 26, 2009

    Progressive Democrat Issue 203

    With the massive Salmonella recall, the problems with food and pet food contamination from Chinese products, and the general increase in food prices, I am adding listings of local food co-ops for many states I cover. Generally, these offer lower prices and higher quality than general supermarkets. Some require an investment of time and/or money, but some do not. I shopped at a food co-op as a student in San Diego in the 1980's and it really kept my food bills way down. Currently my wife and I have joined the Park Slope Food Co-op in Brooklyn, the largest food co-op in America, and although we find aspects of it inconvenient, we do find the prices are much lower and we eat far more healthy now. And NONE of the products we buy were part of the massive recall I discussed a few weeks ago. So take a look at any listings I give for your state, and let me know if you know of any I missed.

    I will also say that in addition to food co-ops, we love Trader Joe's. Trader Joe's is a regular supermarket, but they are cheaper than almost any other regular supermarket I have found, have MUCH higher quality products, and, according to the Co-op America Responsible Shopper website, is one of the few companies they rate that actually has an excellent record on environment, labor, social issues, etc. I have never liked Whole Foods, which is over priced and far lower quality than I expected. Trader Joe's does it better and cheaper.

    Here is this week's newsletter:

    TABLE OF CONTENTS:

    USA GREEN JOBS REPORT

    Health Care and Education: The Business Model Has Failed

    Gender Ratios Around the World

    Brooklyn Focus: Josh Skaller for City Council

    Syracuse, NY Food Co-ops, Credi Union and Wind Power

    South Bronx, NY Food Co-op

    NEW YORK STATE FOCUS

    Orange County, CA Events

    Sacramento, CA Food Co-ops and Events

    San Diego, CA Food Co-ops and Events

    CALIFORNIA FOCUS

    TEXAS FOOD CO-OPS: Houston, Austin, Denton, Keller

    Houston/Harris County, TX Events

    Austin/Travis County, TX. Events

    TEXAS FOCUS

    Tucson, AZ. Food Co-ops

    Phoenix, AZ. Events

    ARIZONA FOCUS

    New Jersey's Center for Urban Restoration Ecology

    NEW JERSEY FOCUS

    Georgia Democrats Work Community Events

    GEORGIA FOCUS

    North Carolina Action: Support Comprehensive Sex Education

    NORTH CAROLINA FOCUS

    VIRGINIA FOCUS

    COLORADO FOCUS

    Reform Illinois

    ILLINOIS FOCUS

    FLORIDA FOCUS

    WISCONSIN FOCUS

    WASHINGTON FOCUS

    PENNSYLVANIA FOCUS

    IOWA FOCUS

    NEVADA FOCUS

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home