.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mole's Progressive Democrat

The Progressive Democrat Newsletter grew out of the frustration of the 2004 election. Originally intended for New York City progressives, its readership is now national. For anyone who wants to be alerted by email whenever this newsletter is updated (usually weekly), please send your email address and let me know what state you live in (so I can keep track of my readership).

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I am a research biologist in NYC. Married with two kids living in Brooklyn.

Google
  • Help end world hunger
  • Thursday, January 22, 2009

    Progressive Democrat Issue 198

    It's been a good week. Obama has already begun reversing the horrible policies of the Bush Administration. Obama has set in motion the process of closing Guantanamo. Obama has reversed the Global Gag rule. And he has rejected torture. Not bad for his first few days in office.

    There is one song that more than any represents the people's America, the America of the working class and middle class. The unofficial anthem of the United States has echoed through the decades. On Sunday, January 18th, 2009, that song was sung in Washington, DC, to usher in a new era. This Land is Your Land:

    This Land Is Your Land

    This land is your land This land is my land
    From California to the New York island;
    From the red wood forest to the Gulf Stream waters
    This land was made for you and Me.

    As I was walking that ribbon of highway,
    I saw above me that endless skyway:
    I saw below me that golden valley:
    This land was made for you and me.

    I've roamed and rambled and I followed my footsteps
    To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts;
    And all around me a voice was sounding:
    This land was made for you and me.

    When the sun came shining, and I was strolling,
    And the wheat fields waving and the dust clouds rolling,
    As the fog was lifting a voice was chanting:
    This land was made for you and me.

    As I went walking I saw a sign there
    And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
    But on the other side it didn't say nothing,
    That side was made for you and me.

    In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
    By the relief office I seen my people;
    As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
    Is this land made for you and me?

    Nobody living can ever stop me,
    As I go walking that freedom highway;
    Nobody living can ever make me turn back
    This land was made for you and me.


    As I have done before back when Obama was heading for victory in the election, I want to present this anthem of the American Dream through the decades.

    Woody Guthrie (original):



    Bruce Springsteen (my generation):



    Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings: (this generation)



    Here is this week's newsletter:

    TABLE OF CONTENTS:

    Once Again, Nuclear is NOT the Solution

    Ending the Global Gag Rule

    American Conservatives and Japanese Ultra-Nationalists: A Tangled Web of Corruption

    Change NYC

    NEW YORK

    Orange County, CA Focus

    San Diego, CA focus

    CALIFORNIA

    Veterans for Peace, Atlanta, GA

    GEORGIA

    NEW JERSEY

    Virginia Organizing Project

    VIRGINIA

    TEXAS

    FLORIDA

    Black Mesa, AZ Focus

    ARIZONA

    PENNSYLVANIA

    COLORADO

    WASHINGTON STATE

    NORTH CAROLINA

    ILLINOIS

    IOWA

    WISCONSIN

    NEVADA

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home