.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mole's Progressive Democrat

The Progressive Democrat Newsletter grew out of the frustration of the 2004 election. Originally intended for New York City progressives, its readership is now national. For anyone who wants to be alerted by email whenever this newsletter is updated (usually weekly), please send your email address and let me know what state you live in (so I can keep track of my readership).

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I am a research biologist in NYC. Married with two kids living in Brooklyn.

Google
  • Help end world hunger
  • Thursday, December 04, 2008

    Companies that Carbon Offset

    I have been doing carbon offsets of various sorts for 2 years now, trying to make sure my family is carbon neutral or better. And I encourage you to do the same. I recommend either Carbonfund.org or Native Energy.

    But it occurs to me that another way to be green is to patronize companies that do carbon offsets. So I want to direct your attention to the list of business and organizational partners that these two offset programs work with to offset the carbon use of those businesses.

    Here are some of the companies that do offsets through Native Energy:

    Ben and Jerry's ice cream (YUM!)
    Cliff Bar
    Dave Matthews Band
    Aveda
    Green Mountain Coffee
    Annie's Homegrown Foods
    Stoneyfield Farms
    Seventh Generation (we buy lots of their paper and cleaning products)
    An Inconvenient Truth

    Here is the list from Carbonfund.org. There are, quite wonderfully, too many to list. But here are some highlights:

    1-800 Courier
    2020 Vision
    Allstate Insurance (the company I use)
    alonovo (a business owned by one of my readers...check them out!)
    Babies Online
    California Pacific Designs
    Calvert Group (I used to invest with them)
    Discover Magazine
    Esurance (they are a progressive company I have talked with before)
    Flower Petal.com
    Grounds for Change (Fair trade coffee)
    Hansen’s
    Green Fleet Car Service, LLC (New Jersey)
    Green Taxi Cab, LLC
    Hotels Combined Pty Ltd (hotel rate comparisons and reservations)
    New York Dermatology Group
    Online Trade & Technology Group LLC
    Orbitz (the site I most often use to book flights)
    Oxfam America (great charity!)
    PlanetShoes.com
    Propel Biofuels
    Ravelry, LLC (my wife loves them!)
    RealtyOnlineAdvertising.com
    Staples
    Surfing Magazine
    Volkswagen

    Interestingly, here is a list of politicians who do carbon offsets through Carbonfund.org:
    Chris Dodd for President
    Senator Diane Feinstein’s Congressional Office
    Fred Klaske for Assembly
    Friends of Pete Harckham
    Senator Robert Menendez Office & Campaign
    Jane Mitakides 2008 Campaign

    I urge you to patronize the companies that work with these two carbon offset programs. And, if you do, you might let them know to encourage them.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home