.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mole's Progressive Democrat

The Progressive Democrat Newsletter grew out of the frustration of the 2004 election. Originally intended for New York City progressives, its readership is now national. For anyone who wants to be alerted by email whenever this newsletter is updated (usually weekly), please send your email address and let me know what state you live in (so I can keep track of my readership).

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I am a research biologist in NYC. Married with two kids living in Brooklyn.

Google
  • Help end world hunger
  • Saturday, April 19, 2008

    ELECTING PROGRESSIVES LOCALLY: Elesha Gayman: Progressive Grassroots Winner in the Iowa Legislature

    Sometimes a local candidate catches my attention. And, when I can view the situation without bias, I have been a good judge of those candidates who are winners and those who are losers. I don't do as well if I have a personal stake in the election. But if I can view it from a distance, I have so far done a good job of picking winners.

    One of the winners I picked in 2006 was Elesha Gayman, who ran for State Rep in Iowa's 84th House district.



    There were several reasons she caught my attention. First, the district includes Davenport, IA, where my father was born. So I have a family interest in the district. Second, Elesha was clearly a progressive grassroots favorite, endorsed by the local Democracy for America groups. Third, it was clear to me that Elesha was an intelligent, progressive candidate who would do a great job representing her district.

    So I donated to her campaign and I blogged for her. She actually became a reader of my newsletter, at least for a while (now I suspect she is too busy). But most importantly, she won. She is now an incumbent representing the 84th State House district in Iowa. And she is doing a great job focusing on alternative energy, healthcare, minimum wage, agriculture, etc. You can get a rundown of her positions on these issues on her website. And you can read about Elesha's biography here. Recently, the Republican machine has targeted Elesha Gayman. She represents Iowa voters, but she sure doesn't represent the interests of the Greedy Oil Party in Iowa, so they are targeting her and some of her colleagues. So, I include her and the other targeted progressive Democrats on my Iowa Act Blue Page. Help out either by donating or volunteering. Elesha really deserves our support and she really is pissing off right wing extremists.

    If you can't donate, but live in Iowa, please take some time to volunteer to support a fellow reader of the Progressive Democrat.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home