.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mole's Progressive Democrat

The Progressive Democrat Newsletter grew out of the frustration of the 2004 election. Originally intended for New York City progressives, its readership is now national. For anyone who wants to be alerted by email whenever this newsletter is updated (usually weekly), please send your email address and let me know what state you live in (so I can keep track of my readership).

Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I am a research biologist in NYC. Married with two kids living in Brooklyn.

Google
  • Help end world hunger
  • Saturday, January 20, 2007

    Progressive Democrat Issue 105: REMEMBERING MARTIN LUTHER KING: Part III: Action

    Having been raised a liberal Jew, I have a particular view of how people can achieve success in America. I admit it doesn't solve all problems, but what worked for my family and my ethnicity was quite simply political activism (particularly reliably voting) and education.

    So, coming from my personal point of view, my annual recommendation for how to celebrate MLK day is with donations to a few good causes that I hope will help solve future problems.

    First let me highlight the NAACP National Voter Fund. In 2000, the NAACP initiated a separate Section 501(c)(4) organization, the NAACP National Voter Fund (NVF). NVF's mission is to engage in issue advocacy, educate voters on candidates' stands on civil rights, and increase voter turnout in the African American community through voter education and non-partisan registration and get-out-the-vote efforts. In 2000, NVF led a nationwide effort resulting in an historic increase in African American voter participation, despite well-documented cases of unfair purges and barriers.

    The NAACP Voter Fund focuses on voter registration, GOTV and election protection. In my little world view, any group that has high and reliable voter tunr out will get political attention. Any group that is known for low voter turnout is likely to be ignored.

    I also want to highlight Progressive Majority because of their very successful "Racial Justice Campaign" which helps progressive minority candidates get elected. Focusing on local races (right down to school board) that seldom get attention from national organizations, Progressive Majority has an excellent record of training and helping progressive candidates get elected.

    Turning to education there is always the United Negro College Fund. Over 63 years, the United Negro College Fund has raised more than $2 billion to help a total of more than 350,000 students attend college and has distributed more funds to help minorities attend school than any entity outside of the government.

    I urge a dontation to one or more of these organizations to help continue the dream. And I fully realize that this is not a comprehensive site, so please add any groups you recommmend to the list by making a comment.

    Click here to go back to THOUGHTS section and Table of Contents for this issue.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home